| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Volume pedals
Mark Johnson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2019 7:00 pm    

Has anyone out there ever used a Morley volume pedal for PSG? I like them because they don’t have pots and are very quiet. I have a Goodrich but it’s high maintenance. The cord has broken once and the pot needs frequent cleaning.
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2019 3:31 am    

Mark, I have owned a Morley volume pedal since the 70s and while it's never failed for guitar it just doesn't work for pedal steel. The pedal sits too tall and the angle is wrong for sitting at the steel. Try it yourself and you will see. I have 4 Goodrich volume pedals and a few Ernie Ball as backup. Just get a new Bradshaw or Goodrich pot and string and it will last for years, or go with a Hilton or Telonics and have a no pot pedal. The reasons for so many pedals is because I have multiple rigs set up and I'm too lazy to swap pedals at playing time.
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2019 3:56 am    

Lots of options for new pedals that don't have pots including Telonics, Hilton and Lehle. If you go with the new pots that use conductive plastic wipers and tracks instead of carbon you will not have to worry about a new pot for many years.

Lehle Pedal:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Lehle%20Mono%20Volume%2090/Lehle%20Mono%20Volume%2090.html

Hilton Pedal:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Lehle%20Mono%20Volume%2090/Lehle%20Mono%20Volume%2090.html

Telonics pedal:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Telonics%20Pedal/Telonics%20Pedal.html

Goodrich 120 pedal with conductive plastic pot replacement (Goodrich now comes with this):

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Goodrich%20120%20Pot/Goodrich%20120%20Pot.html

Last edited by Greg Cutshaw on 15 Mar 2019 5:21 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Roger Crawford

McDonough, GA USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2019 4:22 am    

And, when you change the pot, replace the string with braided masons cord. That stuff lasts forever.
Bill Ferguson

Norcross, GA USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2019 5:14 am    

Or if you want to send me your Goodrich pedal, I will be happy to do the repair work inc. new Goodrich Pot, String, lubricate and adjust.

For a nominal charge.
AUTHORIZED GeorgeL's, Goodrich, Telonics, BJS and Peavey Dealer: 1993 Green Emmons D-10 LeGrande w/ Emmons 108 pickups, 2004 Mahogany Carter D-10 w/ Lawrence XR16 pickups, Goodrich OMNI or Telonics Volume Pedal, George L's Cable & Strings, Peavey Nashville 112 (New Model), Peavey Session 115 (#1) and a Telonics Combo 112
David Biggers

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2019 6:57 pm    

Thx for the tip Roger! I need a roll of it.
Georg Sørtun

Mandal, VA, Norway & Weeki Wachee, FL, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2019 7:33 pm     Re: Volume pedals

Mark Johnson wrote:
Has anyone out there ever used a Morley volume pedal for PSG? I like them because they don’t have pots and are very quiet.
Have used one for decades. Modified it to lower its impedance and sensitivity to hum and varying light conditions, and to get the taper I prefer … I use a buffer before the VP so low impedance VPs work best in my setups. Am quite happy with my Morley – angle and hight – under an S10, but if I hadn't been able to modify it to suit me it wouldn't have worked.