The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jody Carver & Bob Dylan
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2019 9:20 am    

Dylan's Blonde-on-Blonde album 12 string Fender guitar is up for auction this week and Jody has provided the confirmation of its authenticity. Read all about it at this link:

https://entertainment.ha.com/heritage-auctions-newsletter/entertainment-news-bob-dylan-s-fender-guitar-from-his-blonde-on-blonde-sessions-may-rewrite-music-history-march-16.s?id=5626&ctrack=1824130&type=view-online-link-ent--news--tem031319

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2019 10:19 am    

Thank you Jim. It's not that I doubt Mr.Carver's expertice, but Blonde On Blonde was recorded in Nashville (maybe it's origins were in New York). I also can't hear any twelve-string on the final recording.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2019 10:32 am    

Joachim Kettner wrote:
Thank you Jim. It's not that I doubt Mr.Carver's expertice, but Blonde On Blonde was recorded in Nashville (maybe it's origins were in New York). I also can't hear any twelve-string on the final recording.

Very interesting, Joachim. I've been told that Heritage Auctions sometimes gets it wrong, whether accidentally or on purpose, I don't know... so, CAVEAT EMPTOR!

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2019 11:19 am    

Quote:
It's not that I doubt Mr.Carver's expertice, but Blonde On Blonde was recorded in Nashville (maybe it's origins were in New York). I also can't hear any twelve-string on the final recording.

The Heritage Auction page says this:
Quote:
The historically important Fender (serial number L72261) was used during the initial writing and recording sessions that took place in New York during October 1965 after Dylan's first electric tour. As this particular guitar was designed in 1965 with folk and rock artists in mind, naturally the Fender Company personally gave one to Dylan.

Even the most cursory research will confirm that intial writing and recording for Blonde on Blonde was done in New York, and then there was a move to Nashville. Wikipedia is a reasonable place to start:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blonde_on_Blonde#New_York_sessions

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blonde_on_Blonde#Move_to_Nashville

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blonde_on_Blonde#Disagreement_over_Nashville_recording_dates

But there's a lot more written about this in many places. The gist is that a bunch of sessions took place in New York, but Dylan wasn't happy with the results, so they moved to Nashville. This is well-known history. Further, it looks like the same guitar. Not a lot of Electric XII guitars were made with the white/black/white pickguard. So at least, I see no obvious inconsistencies between what Jody has written and known history - viz (in part):
Quote:
"Due to my knowledge of musicians and studios in the Northeast, I was Fender's first choice for supplying artists ...I have inspected the 1965 Fender Electric XII ... serial no L72261, and can confirm (Due to the unique wood grain figuring at the end of the fingerboard) that this was the instrument given to Bob Dylan by the Fender company, and is the one that can be seen on the Bob Dylan sessions in Columbia Studios attended by myself and my nephew Artie Martello in 1965."

If someone was, hypothetically, even thinking about dropping 6 figures on a guitar like this, they definitely should take extra pains to be absolutely sure of its provenance. Without that connection, a nice sunburst Electric XII typical value is less than $4000. But if you're gonna question authenticity, you need to get your facts much more straight. IMHO.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2019 11:56 am    

They weren't as successful as Rickenbachers, but the British band the Move built their sound on it. For instance with their 60's hit "Fire Brigade".

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2019 8:34 am    

If I were wealthy and had money to pi$$ away, I'd have to ask myself what the "dinner party" value is of this guitar?

"Biff, I know you're a guitar player - come down the hall with me to my office, I have something I want to show you. It's a Fender XII which was used on the early sessions in New York for Bob Dylan's Blonde on Blonde."

After checking out the guitar, Biff's reaction: "this is pretty cool - but wasn't the actual album recorded in Nashville? So it's not like this guitar can be heard on my 180 gram vinyl copy."

If you click on a link in blue on the site shared by Jim Cohen it brings you to a short video from the auction company. Apparently the online auction ends on March 17, and the current bid is $150,000. I'll check back in a few days to see how it ends.

I don't know about anybody else, but if I'm a rich guy who wants to show off collectible guitars to a friend - I want one that Zimmy played on the actual Nashville sessions!

I guess the real value of this thread to the SGF is that Jody Carver was a Fender rep at the time, he provided Dylan with the guitar, and he and his son were able to hang for a time at the early New York sessions.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2019 10:52 am    

Quote:
and the current bid is $150,000

World gone wrong.
I like your imaginary Mark, about this guy Biff Laughing

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2019 12:59 pm    

Dylan held a lot a guitars apparently. Jody Carver told a hilarious story about trying to get the iconic photo of Dylan holding the fender bass. It is somewhere in the archives