The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Two Notes Torpedo C.A.B. ?
Jeff Heard

Lopez Island, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2019 3:24 pm    

Anyone used one of these speaker cab emulators for going direct with pedal steel?

Karlis Abolins

(near) Seattle, WA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2019 7:15 am    

My Two Notes Clean preamp includes speaker emulation based on the Torpedo. It is subtle and very musical.

Karlis

Jeff Heard

Post  Posted 13 Mar 2019 7:45 am    

Thanks, Karlis. I sometimes play with some folks who don't like amps onstage. I thought this might work well along with my Revelation preamp going direct. I like having my speaker cab, but...

Charley Paul

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2019 6:48 pm    

I’ve used quite a few speaker emulators to go direct with 6 string electric. Never on pedal steel....yet. But here’s my take:

1. Two Notes CAB. This box is great, and offers a lot of choices for cabinets and speakers. I liked that it had a line level out, but wished it was xlr. There is a learning curve to this box but it’s great. It does sound a lot better with a preamp before it. I’m sure that it would pair exceptionally well with the Rev Pre. If I was using a rack setup like the Rev, I would be looking at the Torpedo Live, which is a rack version of the CAB that is also a load box. You wouldn’t need the load box part with the Rev, but it would be one less cable to connect, and one less AC adapter.

2. Two Notes LeClean. Another great preamp that does blackface and tweed sounds. This one is all analog, and has an analog speaker sim built in. It would pair great with the CAB. It also has one 12ax7 in it. Since you already have the Rev, this would be redundant.

3. Ethos Clean. This was my favorite of all. I didn’t need a whole catalog of speaker cabs to simulate, just one great sound. This was it. It is all analog, and sounds great. Just great. I would get the HRM mod for the additional EQ. This would do everything that the Rev preamp and speaker sim pedal would do in one small box. No tubes, but I believe it sounds as good as a tube preamp. It would also be redundant with the Rev, but could replace it and lighten your load.

Jeff Heard

Post  Posted 14 Mar 2019 6:14 am    

Thanks, Charley.