| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Real Band
Harry Dove

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2019 5:46 pm    

I've been thinking of trying out Real Band. Has anybody here spent much time with it? If so, does it have advantages over BIAB, or would my time be better spent on something else?
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2019 7:10 am    

I thought Real Band was part of BIAB?
Erv
Harry Dove

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2019 10:00 am    

They include it with BIAB and you can swap tracks but they are different programs and run differently. I watched a couple of clips from YouTube and it appears that you can have much more control over what you make with Real Band. I'm just wondering if it would be worth the time, or is something else better.
Norman Evans

Tennessee
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2019 4:00 pm    

I don't record any on a computer, but I use Real Band all the time to tweak songs I've arranged in BIAB. I record everything I do on a Korg D888 recorder. Then I transfer the tracks as wave files to the computer and open them in Real Band. Real Band works like any DAW with a lot of useful tools. I'm sure you could record just like any other DAW, but I just haven't got into computer recording.
Harry Dove

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2019 5:23 pm    

Thanks for the info. It sounds like it might be worth the time to become more familiar with it.
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2019 4:19 am    

I use RealBand to generate RealTracks which I then port to Reaper to add to my studio recorded live tracks and other parts like drums generated in EZDrummer. It's pretty intuitive to learn. In my case I simply type in a chord sequence and let RealBand generate the tracks which I then convert to wav files. The Realband tracks must be on their own hard drive if you want full fidelity on the the RealTracks. I bought BIAB/Realband packaged on a hard drive at a huge discount and everything works as advertised. If you don't want or need RealTracks you might be able to do everything you need in BIAB or better yet use a DAW such as Reaper as a home base for editing and mastering.

Here some songs where I used RealBand to generate the fiddle and piano parts:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Samples/Midnight%20In%20Amarillo.mp3

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Samples/Boot%20Heel%20Drag.mp3

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Samples/Corrina%20Corrina.mp3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Harry Dove

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2019 6:07 pm    

It sounds like Real Band generates some pretty good fills. So far I have been creating all my backing tracks on BIAB, but I want to expand a bit.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the tracks being on their own drive. Are you referring to the tracks being stored as the full sized files rather than being converted to another form with smaller file size?

Thanks for the info.
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2019 4:14 am    

The RealTracks are converted to wma files if you choose to load them and run them from your PC or MAC. They stay as high quality wav files if you run them from the BIAB provided hard drive.

You can always type your chord chart into RealBand, generate a Real track, then copy that track back to BIAB or vice versa. There's nothing special about the RealBand DAW functions. RealBand also has loads of midi tracks you can generate so you have the choice of generating midi or real tracks or combining the two. There's also MultiRiff which I use all the time. It gives your 7 versions of the same track and allows you to choose the version you like best.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Harry Dove

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2019 7:52 am    

Ok thanks.

This is the response I got from PG Music regarding BIAB files:

From a audio (i.e. Realtrack) perspective, BIAB comes in two sound qualities. What quality you have depends entirely on the which version of the product you purchased.

If you purchased the Audiophile edition (that is, the top of the range), then the USB drive that it is shipped on will contain the WAV files for audio. If you purchased any other package, the USB drive will contain WMA files.

The Audiophile version also allows the user to install a WMA-file version of BIAB onto a computer's hard drive. So if you did buy the Audiophile software, make sure that you set BIAB's Realtrack and Realdrum preferences to point to the USB drive when you are building the final audio product.

If you purchase was either ProPak, MegaPak or ULtraPak, and you installed that package on your computer, then the audio files are WMA on both the external and internal installations.