The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Six String to 8 string transition
Criss Orton

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2019 5:38 pm    

I am a rank beginner. I currently use a '46 Fender 6 string and my lessons are R.Filiberto by Mel Bay. Long story short, I have a '54 Stringmaster T-8 to use. How do I transition my E7 tuning lessons to the SM? I read the Forum and have received "Pedal Steel G" by Winston and Keith. Have printed John Ely's Tunings and gauges, for top C13, Middle A6, and bottom, E13. plus C6 and B11.
I can't play the tunes in Keith because I only know how to read music.
Still stuck. Thanks for reading.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2019 7:20 pm    

If you're a proficient sight reader the old Jerry Byrd course would be worth your while. Everything you need is there. It may not be as good as it gets, but it's very, very close.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2019 8:07 am    

Jack,
You mean this one?

Criss Orton

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2019 10:44 am     Six String to 8 string transition

Will give it a good Googling and get back to the Forum. Thank you both for the response.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2019 6:25 pm    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
Jack,
You mean this one?

Erv, the one I have has a different cover, but is quite possibly the same material. Mine is quite a large book, about the size of a standard piece of sheet music. It's at least an inch thick, has a fuzzy red cover, and came with two or three cassette tapes.

I purchased it from Jerry when I met him at one of his Surf Room gigs in the '80s. We were fortunate to get a table right in front of Jerry, he picked up on our enthusiasm, and sat down with us when his trio took their break. I have met few people in my life who were as gracious and as wonderful to four total strangers -- all rubes from the Midwest -- as was Jerry Byrd that night.

I wrote him a check on the spot, and the package was waiting when we returned to the Twin Cities after the end of our vacation.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2019 7:14 am    

Jack,
Yes, I've seen the same course with a different cover on it. Very Happy
Erv

Criss Orton

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2019 9:07 am     six string to 8 string transition

Jerry Byrd is on YouTube, so I have been just absorbing the smoothness, the technique I have yet to attempt. Beautiful resource. The book by Mr. Byrd, not so available. Any other suggestions in sheet music. John Ely has a web site with tunings and such.
Do I just tune my guitar necks and play from my Ukulele book?

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2019 3:36 pm    

I think you can still get it but you have to contact Scotty's Music: http://www.scottysmusic.com/

A more fundamental question I suppose would be...what kind of music do you most want to play? That can help you focus your efforts.

Paul DiMaggio

Fort Nelson, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2019 7:17 am    

If you read standard notation , just make fretboard maps of each tuning and spend sometime in the woodshed. Jerry Byrd’s book teaches you how to read , if you already know how, you don’t need it. Having said that ,it is a great resource for different tunings and how they evolved and their relationships to one another.

Criss Orton

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2019 2:00 pm     six string to 8 string transition

Paul gave me good advice. I needed a push to just Do It. The woodshed comment was the kicker. Thanks. Have ordered a book, cause I cling to books, with Hawaiian music. I love the old Texas swing and Bob Wills and others not at all so famous. So I think that aims me toward E13 for Hawaiian and C6 for country? John Ely gives tunings of A6 and another. Hopefully, I won't make it harder than it has to be. Thanks again, SGF.