The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The never ending chase!!!
Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2019 9:21 am    

On one hand I want the fullness of Buddy and John H, I want the brightness of the Texas players, I want the wetness of the 60's steelers, the dryness of Mike Johnson and Paul, to sound just like Mike Smith, to sound like a Tele not a zither. Oh what a ride it is.

Phone: 971-219-8533

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2019 10:03 am    

On the other hand, if I could play as well as any of those guys you mentioned, I wouldn't care what kind of tone I had. Oh Well

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2019 1:19 pm    

I remember years ago the desire to sound as good as all those guys. After years of playing I came to peace with the whole thing and just happy that the good Lord above aloud me to do what I am doing. Smile Smile Smile Smile

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2019 5:41 pm    

Amen guys. All the above and then some. With age my priorities have shifted and I'm glad to just be able to play what I can.

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2019 6:04 pm    

I stopped that madness years ago. What worked for me was to start thinking outside of what was normally acceptable by the steel guitar community. And i found pretty much the tone i was seeking in the damndest of places. With steel guitars, speakers, strings and gauges, and amplifiers i had configured to my needs, that i never knew could deliver what i was seeking. Been an expensive, exhausting, futile ride for me. But i finally reached the end of that journey ....... or have i?

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2019 6:22 pm    

I've never really struggled with getting a good tone with the exception of maybe an amp or two that just didn't want to cooperate. From the first time I ever heard Buddy Emmons, I knew that was the tone I hoped to come close to some day if possible.

Most gigs, I just strive to play as well as I can to please me and the guys in whatever band I'm subbing with each weekend.

I'm not one to continually buy amps and gadgets chasing a tone as I feel most amps these days do a good job giving us the ability to get a decent tone.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2019 9:19 pm     The never ending chase.

I was on that chase for years too. Added a Adjustable Delay Box right after the volume pedal. Now I'm a Happy Camper.

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2019 4:53 am    

I think ears are a funny thing and will accept a variety of tone that falls within a certain envelope as being good... anything outside of that may make our ears a little unhappy... Much of that tone we grew up loving was through amps that today you can get, if you’ll just PLEASE carry the thing away... Yet we, (Myself included) are willing to pay big bucks on amps with new technology and the promise of that elusive tone we continue to chase, and perhaps its right there in front of us attached to our wrists Winking ... That said, I’ve only had a couple of amps in 45 or so years that I was less than happy with, yet most of the amps I’ve had, I’ve been able to get a HAPPY tone... NOW at this stage of my life, and with what I have I’m really happy with my tone and play with a big cheesy grin on my face... Have I FINALLY found it Question Question Question Very Happy Rolling Eyes Shocked Very Happy
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2019 6:53 am    

Let's just put a touch of Happy Tone right in here...
[/img]