The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  1974 Fender Vibrosonic Reverb
Todd Ward

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2019 8:30 pm    

Hello,

Need some help from all you Steel Guitar guys out there. I have in my procession a 1974 Fender Vibrosonic Reverb. The amp was used by Bob White on the record Steel Trek. It turns on and you can play through it. There is some hum and buzz and the power tubes probably need to get replaced. It has the JBL speaker in it as well and I’m pretty sure this thing is all original.

Looking to sell it as is and trying to determine overall value. Any advice you guys could give me would be great.

Todd

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2019 10:11 pm    

Someone has a 72 Vibrosonic for sale out in Northern California for $700. It has a Jensen speaker, not a JBL, and the cabinet is considerably more beat up. Supposedly it works good and doesn't need servicing. It sounds like your's should be serviced right away and probably needs new tubes, but that's just routine maintenance. Otherwise it's a very clean amp.

I don't know the market in Arkansas, but here in Cali you should be able to get anywhere from $750 to $1000. That JBL is worth a lot, if it's not blown. I sure would not want to pay the shipping for that amp.

Todd Ward

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2019 4:44 am    

The speaker is in good shape and i currently have it for $1000 and have had interest but mainly trade. I was a little concerned I had it prices to high. Thanks for the response.

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2019 1:21 am    

I have actually been looking at those for a while now. It would be a great mate for my 73 Twin. I found one on Reverb about 5 months ago for $800.00. I offered the guy $750.00 flat - he would take care of shipping. He accepted, but then told me there was some issue with it, so I declined, as I really couldn't afford the expense at that time anyway. Personally, even though I do plan on getting one eventually,I wouldn't go further than $800.00 shipped. Hope that helps.

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2019 1:26 am    

I would also add, that buying old amplifiers from across the country is sort of like buying a used car: The buyer has to leave room in the budget for repairs once he receives it. It's always a gamble, that it doesn't need too much work, but will almost always need some. Older BF stuff commands stupid money that SF doesn't - lucky for us steelers who like SF Fenders.