The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How to play Pedal Steel Guitar - Episode 3
Mathew Jut

Netherlands
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2019 3:04 pm    

Hi all,

Hereby the new tutorial video, Episode 3!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YqijfVcXWo

Best regards,

Mathew Jut

http://www.youtube.com/@MathewJut

Tim Sheinman

Brighton, UK
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2019 4:50 am    

Hi Matt,

A bit of constructive thought. You are clearly a good player, particularly so for your age. You have a great playing future ahead of you, as long as you can find people to play traditional country with.

However, in my opinion these videos do not do you much credit, because you are rushing too fast to produce them. They should either present a clear way into learning the steel for beginners, who are not on the forum, or else do more than just teach the parts.

I am not sure at the moment who these videos are for and why someone would choose them over say, Mickey Adams. I think this is important to say since you are fundraising for them. What are your thoughts?

Andy Vance

Graham, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2019 8:28 am    

I watched the video and I'm unsure what Tim's point actually is. Mathew is teaching a specific solo and intro, or at least his interpretation of them. Much like other videos I have seen that teach a song or passage, he is explaining how he is playing it and you can see his hands/feet. If this is useful to someone out there then maybe Mathew's goal has been reached? If someone chooses to pay him/donate for that lesson, I think that is up to the individual person. If this video tutorial isn't useful to you, why post to the thread with such comments? Why not send Mathew a PM and ask your questions and/or provide "food for thought"? Lastly, there are plenty of lessons out there to take that may fit your specific needs better than what Mathew is providing, maybe those should be looked into vs. trying to state what Mathew "should" be providing?

I felt the need to post to this thread because I surely don't want Mathew, or anyone else for that matter, discouraged from providing back to the steel guitar community.

Mathew Jut

Netherlands
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2019 6:25 pm    

Tim Sheinman wrote:
Hi Matt,

A bit of constructive thought. You are clearly a good player, particularly so for your age. You have a great playing future ahead of you, as long as you can find people to play traditional country with.

However, in my opinion these videos do not do you much credit, because you are rushing too fast to produce them. They should either present a clear way into learning the steel for beginners, who are not on the forum, or else do more than just teach the parts.

I am not sure at the moment who these videos are for and why someone would choose them over say, Mickey Adams. I think this is important to say since you are fundraising for them. What are your thoughts?

I will answer you questions very clear, to be honest, I'm doing these tutorial videos to help others with my approach to the Pedal Steel Guitar. I'm doing these Episodes for those who want to learn. In my opinion, there is lack of tutorial videos and I got requests of producing these tutorials. Also, I'm convinced that everyone can learn from each other.

Your specific question about why someone would choose me over for example, Mickey Adams. I don't think they should choose me over anybody... I'm just putting on practice material on my way. I think the camera position was pretty decent and i'm trying to perfection my videos, but i'm also very busy so I don't have the time to spent a lot of time into it. Also, i'm not fundraising these Episodes of tutorial videos. But, on Patreon I am because i'm doing specific tutorials.

Long story short, I'm producing these videos to help in specific beginners to learn the pedal steel guitar but on a different approach than the most basic ones. Also, these videos can be handy for intermediate or pro players, I'm not sure how wide my target audience is. But, I do know, as I mentioned before, that everyone can learn from each other and that Musicians are not competing, but learning from each other. I hope my answers are clear for you now.

Best regards,

Mathew Jut

Mathew Jut

Netherlands
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2019 6:28 pm    

Andy Vance wrote:
I watched the video and I'm unsure what Tim's point actually is. Mathew is teaching a specific solo and intro, or at least his interpretation of them. Much like other videos I have seen that teach a song or passage, he is explaining how he is playing it and you can see his hands/feet. If this is useful to someone out there then maybe Mathew's goal has been reached? If someone chooses to pay him/donate for that lesson, I think that is up to the individual person. If this video tutorial isn't useful to you, why post to the thread with such comments? Why not send Mathew a PM and ask your questions and/or provide "food for thought"? Lastly, there are plenty of lessons out there to take that may fit your specific needs better than what Mathew is providing, maybe those should be looked into vs. trying to state what Mathew "should" be providing?

I felt the need to post to this thread because I surely don't want Mathew, or anyone else for that matter, discouraged from providing back to the steel guitar community.

Thank you for saying that, I needed it because I've experienced a lot of envy recent times. I couldn't say it any better than you.

George Frachiseur

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2019 11:10 pm    

Tim, whats your beef with what he chooses to do? Are you the Youtube Pedal Steel guitar police? Maybe you should check your attitude at the door and you might actually learn something! As Paul Franklin said he views himself as a beginner and the reason for that is you never stop learning this instrument and when you think you can't learn something from players of any level then you need to hang your picks up because you'll never and I say never improve from that point on! I think we should encourage anybody that has an interest in the pedal steel guitar and is willing to help somebody else! You my friend need to examine your motives and attitude!

Kevin Barber

Marianna, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2019 7:17 pm    

What I get out watching other steel player's videos is being able to learn varied licks and chords that I wouldn't otherwise even think of adding to a song. The band I'm in plays "Look at us" and I heard what I would call a few enhancements to add to how I have been playing the intro on that song. I enjoy listening to the way others play and I take a little from each one and combine the licks and phrasings of several players and I have my own way of improving the way I play a song.
Thank you Mathew, and everyone else who posts videos like this to promote the advancement and enjoyment of playing the steel!!!!! I really appreciate it!!