The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Microphonic pickup on late 60’s MSA
Rick Contino

Brattleboro, Vermont
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2019 5:32 pm    

I have a late 60’s MSA 12 string with a single coil pickup that picks up my every movement. Any suggestions on how to rehab the pickup?

The steel also has a spot up the neck for another pickup. Amy ideas on what kind of pickup might have been there originally?

I have pictures of the steel from a previous thread here. https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=204002&highlight=

Michael Brebes

Northridge CA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2019 7:10 am    

Potting the pickup in wax should help to bring down the microphonics. Also, looking at the pics from the previous post, it looks like the pickup is held in place by a clamp on each end. If the pickup is not tight under the clamps, you could always try adding/replacing any foam etc. that might be under the pickup to make it snug against the clamp arms.
Dickerson MOTS/Dobro D32 Hawaiian/
Goldtone Paul Beard Reso

Mesa Boogie Studio Pre/Hafler 3000
RP1/MPX100

Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2019 8:15 pm    

Indeed pot it with wax. Make sure you use the double boiler method whereby you boil water then submerge another pot with the wax in it. In that manner the wax will melt yet never reach the combustion point whereby you could start quite a fire.
A relatively long tube (8"?) with wax filled to the top and pickup at bottom will work best as it creates pressure to drive the air out of the windings. You can use that standard block of wax ~ 1lb that you buy at the grocery store intended for canning.
This is really effective.

Tommy Mc

Middlesex VT
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2019 8:05 am    

Rick, I had a similar problem with the single coil in my 1980 MSA, and potting was the answer.

Michael Brebes

Northridge CA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2019 3:29 pm    

What I recommend for potting pickups is the little mini Crockpot. They only cost $20-25 and they never get hot enough to do anything more than melt the wax. Once the wax is melted, leave the pickup in for at least 15 minutes, longer if bubbles are still coming out of the pickup.
Dickerson MOTS/Dobro D32 Hawaiian/
Goldtone Paul Beard Reso

Mesa Boogie Studio Pre/Hafler 3000
RP1/MPX100

Chris Reesor

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2019 7:06 pm    

Check out the thrift stores. A "Little Dipper" is about perfect for the job, runs at about 180 F. with the lid on. I use one for hide glue. Cost me $5 at Value Village; they had three in stock.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2019 7:48 am    

Guitars only came with one pickup, so someone had added another at some point. There's no telling what was there, unless you find a previous owner (doubtful, due to the age). The pickup presently on the guitar is also not original, and looks like it might be an early Marlen single-coil.

When a pickup becomes microphonic, potting with hot paraffin wax works (usually). At any rate, there are plenty of aftermarket pickups available.