The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Someone to Look at Push/Pull Tone Pot-FIXED-For Now?
Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2019 7:21 am    

After I bought my Push/Pull, I discovered that the tone pot did not work. I replaced it. I wired the new pot the same way the original one was wired when I removed it. It still doesn't work. According to wiring diagrams a forum member sent me, I suspect that the original pot was not wired properly when I bought it. The bypass switch has no effect. The neck selector switch works.

I can bring it to the Texas Jamboree next week if someone there is willing to look at it and either repair it or show me how it should be wired. I can bring the necessary tools. I will pay a reasonable fee for your service if you do the work.

Last edited by Jim Cooley on 3 Mar 2019 1:02 pm; edited 2 times in total

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2019 8:29 am    

Here's the diagrams for the single and multi-neck models:

Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2019 8:40 am    

What's the value of the cap?

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2019 9:09 am    

Donny - those are the diagrams I have. Mine doesn't look exactly like any of them.

Steven - I'm not sure of the value of the cap. I'd have to pull the assembly again to check. It looks old enough to be original.

Norman Evans

Tennessee
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2019 11:54 am    

What about the bypass switch for the tone pot? Have you moved it?

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2019 12:04 pm    

I tried the bypass switch several times - no effect.

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2019 1:18 pm     Fixed? Better at Least

While goof-I mean fiddl-I mean troubleshooting further, I noticed a sudden popping sound immediately followed by normal sounds from the C6 strings with the bypass switch in the "active" position. At first I thought the popping sound came from the toggle switch, but after moving it several times, I heard nothing. I then cycled the neck selector switch several times and finally heard the popping as I did. However, it was intermittent. Aha! I'd not noticed that before. I then noticed that the switch was quiet when I held it very steady as I cycled it. When I moved it again, I noticed a little bit of play when wiggling it toward front and rear aprons, but not toward the changer and key head. My Clouseau instincts were kicking in now. The tone pot alternated between becoming active and silent as I wiggled the selector switch. Another clieu! I gave the neck selector switch a shot of DeOxit. It seemed to help, but not cure the problem. I continued to work the neck selector switch. It's better now, but still not perfect. I'll give it some more time to see if it improves. I hope it does, but I have a feeling the problem is caused by the play in the switch, not corrosion or gunk (How to use technical terms and sound smart with your friends).

Sacre bleu! Thanks to everyone who replied. I sincerely appreciate the help.