The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gram Parsons, Emmylou and Neil Flanz
Barry Gaskell

Cheshire, UK
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2019 10:33 am    

Hi Guys
I'm sure someone must have put this up on here before, but I hadn't heard it, and when I did, I thought the steel playing, by Neil Flanz was absolutely exquisite. It's been a long time since I've heard such feeling and flawless playing, on a live recording.
Gram Parsons with Emmylou Harris Live, singing Buck Owens' 'Don't let her know'
It takes a while of chatter before they start,(go forward to 1 minute to miss it) but it's so worthwhile waiting for.
https://youtu.be/95Q4VrKxsoo
Cheers

Last edited by Barry Gaskell on 2 Mar 2019 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Frank Raines

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2019 12:37 pm     Gram

Love the music the boy made and later on with Emmylou (they were made for each other) and as you said Barry, Neil play Great steel on that last tour with them, and still does, Neil is one of my all time favorite steel players. Be nice if Emmylou or someone would get as many as them that's left that was with Gram and her threw the years he was with us, and make a record in Honor of Gram, like they did of the sweetheart of the rodeo recording. I know there a lot of concerts/shows done for him. There a couple guys that sounds and do his music great. I feel if it didn`t happen (his death) and they made that overseas tour they were getting ready to make, they would of made it BIG ,It makes me feel good to go to utube and see all the comments people still say about him and the music they made esp. the younger singers/groups, wish they put him in the C.M.H.O.F.. When he was straight there was no one any better of a singer and as a young song writer then Gram just had a problem

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2019 2:22 pm    

Neil sent me a cassette tape of him with Gram and Emmylou. I'll have to see if I can find it and listen again.

Neil's Sho-Bud lick album and the Sho-Bud instruction book (original 1 volume) was what I used to learn Pedal Steel.

Frank Raines

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2019 4:12 pm     Neil

Jack
If ya find it, if possible maybe ya can make a copy of it I`ll pay ya what you need. I love listing to the tapes of them in the motels playing, singing on utube back, i never seen Emmylou so happy as she was back then always had a smile or laughing back then. frank, I remember that book also. Neil live in texas now??

billy tam

baton rouge, louisiana
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2019 6:08 pm     GP. Emmy Lou and Neil Flanz

I met Neil not too long after that era with Gram and Emmy. He was in Baton Rouge at a local club I worked pretty often playing with Marcia Ball who went to school here. I got a call that Neil need an amp for the show and it just so happened I had a very new Small cabinet Evans FET500 I let Neil use for the gig and that amp never had stuff coming out of it for as long as I owned it but he was as good a player as anyone back in those days bar almost none. The soul of Jimmy Day and the speed and precision of the Big E. Always under rated in my opinion..

David Zornes

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2019 9:32 am     Neil Flanz

Neil’s playing on this particular song and his break is some of the purest, cleanest steel work that I haven’t heard in a very long time. I can’t distinguish if he is using any effects or not; it doesn’t sound like it to me-which is a testament to his masterful tone and technique. Boys, at times, you can’t beat a ShoBud.!

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2019 12:28 pm    

Thanks for posting!

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2019 3:34 pm    

Neil did some fine playing on this.

Neil Flanz

Austin, Texas (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2019 11:18 am     Gram Parsons, Emmy Lou And Neil Flanz

Just wanted to thank everybody for their kind comments.

Neil

Frank Raines

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2019 1:21 pm     Neil

Neil
Glad to see your still watching the forum, and how people still feel about you and your Great steel playing. Love your playing, esp. with Gram/Emmylou in 73 you all were playing your KIND of MUSIC back then, making history with it, that's lasted to this day)
frank

Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2019 10:57 am     Gram Parsons

Here's another one worth listening to...Together Again. I'm guessing this is Neil Flanz, but could be wrong. Sounds similar in ways...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZI1F0EIpXE

Olaf van Roggen

The Netherlands
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2019 7:27 am     Re: Gram Parsons

[quote="Don Mogle"]Here's another one worth listening to...Together Again. I'm guessing this is Neil Flanz, but could be wrong. Sounds similar in ways..

Actually this doesn't sound similar at all, as this is "Sneaky Pete Kleinow" with The Flying Burrito Bros.

Both Neil Flanz and Sneaky Pete are my all time favourite steel players.