The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rickenbacker D/DC models
Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2019 9:44 am    

I just picked up a lovely DC-12 (double neck with the all-metal body) and have been doing some research. Unfortunately, I can't find any listings for these in catalogs, only the D-12/16 with bakelite necks.

Anyone know if the DCs built alongside the Ds for a while or did they replace them?

Also, there's a "1" stamped into the inside of the back cover, and a "1" written on the inside of the body. That couldn't possibly a serial, right? Probably just a part number?

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2019 5:37 pm    

In case it helps:

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2019 7:49 pm    

I'm afraid I'm not much help. I do remember corresponding with forum member Bruce Harvie a few years ago that had an all metal D-12 for sale. I located the thread but, alas, the pictures are lost to photobucket.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=262646&highlight=rickenbacker

He called it a D-16 initially but it was actually a D-12. As you probably know, these guitars are sometimes called "old uglies" but I think they're kinda cute. Here's Lucky Oceans playing one of the bakelite neck models with Jim Cohen's band:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NfIfmA8I-g

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2019 9:19 pm    

Quote:
As you probably know, these guitars are sometimes called "old uglies" but I think they're kinda cute.

Funny that you should mention that. I had a D-16 about 15 years ago and my band mates called it “big ugly”!

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2019 7:51 am    

Yeah, they're not the most beautiful of Ricks. I think the lucite and extra chrome makes the DCs a bit more interesting than the Ds, though.

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2019 8:42 am    

So the ones with the bakelite necks are D model and the all metal is the DC? Would the D stand for "dual" and the C stand for "cast"? I have the later wood model with the scalloped front and rear that I think is called a DW-16, which I guess makes sense if the W is for wood. I'm still trying to get the nomenclature right. Interesting that Rickenbacker's numbers in this case refer to the total number of strings rather than the strings per neck (e.g. Fender D-8 ).