The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Flying With Tone Bar And Picks
Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2019 4:43 pm    

Header pretty much says it all ... anyone have experience flying with their bar in their carry on luggage? Any problem getting through the TSA?

Last edited by Jack Stanton on 22 Feb 2019 6:01 am; edited 1 time in total

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2019 5:21 pm    

Depends on the individual agent. I lost one at MSP about ten years ago. Since then, I travel with cheap Dunlops, and have yet to have one confiscated.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2019 6:00 pm    

I ALWAYS carry pictures of me using/playing/working with any part of my musical bringings on the plane....been doing it for 25 years with NO prob.....it only took that one time and a great personnel that suggested that.
Ricky

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2019 6:36 pm    

You could always put one in your checked luggage and the other in your carry on bag. It's unlikely that the one in your carry on bag will be confiscated on the same day that they lose your checked luggage so you should always have at least one of them no matter what.

Jack Stanton

Post  Posted 22 Feb 2019 6:06 am    

Was hoping not to check a bag, but don't want to risk showing up at the next gig with no bar....
Thanks, guys

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2019 6:52 am    

I haven’t any problems with mine, but then I don't take the one that has the .50 Caliber Slug in the end Wink
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Jamie Howze

Boise, ID
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2019 4:11 pm    

When I fly with picks and bar, I place both picks and bar in a clear ziplock type plastic bag with a slip of paper that says "Steel Guitar Picks and Bar". I treat it just like my liquids and place it with my wallet, keys, phone etc. Displayed thusly one of the agents is likely to recognize what they are. If they still don't understand they are easily accessible to demonstrate how the picks are worn and the bar is held.

When I used to travel with my bar packed, I sometimes had to root it out because it "looks like a bullet of some kind".

By the way, flying out of DFW I've never had TSA even bat an eye. Smile

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2019 7:19 pm    

Never had a problem.. I took a glass one to Phoenix, and they were interested in that. When I told her I thought the metal one would be a problem and that's why I brought the glass one, she said the metal on wouldn't have been a problem, but the glass one looked odd to their machine..all worked out fine since she could see through it.. plus, she knew what a pedal steel was. That, and I was wearing my hat...and I'm old...
Having it together with the picks is a good idea..

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2019 7:21 pm    

Jack Stanton wrote:
Was hoping not to check a bag, but don't want to risk showing up at the next gig with no bar....
Thanks, guys

Jack, aren't you checking the steel anyway or will yours fit reliably in the overhead compartment?

Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2019 7:54 pm    

I do it all the time - never had a problem. Sometimes they have to take it out and look at it because the the bar shows up on the X-ray and they can't tell what it is other than something metal. I always have my spare in checked baggage like Jim suggests.

Ken Boi

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2019 5:09 am     Re: Flying With Tone Bar And Picks

Jack Stanton wrote:
Header pretty much says it all ... anyone have experience flying with their bar in their carry on luggage? Any problem getting through the TSA?

I took a recent trip (1-month ago) from O'Hare to LAX and back. Had the bar and picks in a small bag in my carry-on. I had no issues.

Jack Stanton

Post  Posted 23 Feb 2019 7:06 am    

Jim,
Doing a couple road gigs in N. Carolina with Montrey. No back line on a couple of them so I'll have my whole rig ( we're driving down). Last one is a Friday night , then flying out Saturday morning for a gig in Bucks County,PA. that night. wasn't planning on check anything, just taking a carry on. Mike will be hauling my gear back and I'll have my second rig waiting for me in Pennsy.
Thinking after everyones responses that I might use two seperate sets of picks and bars to be on the safe side.
Thanks again to all that responded.

Jack Stanton

Post  Posted 23 Feb 2019 7:07 am    

Jim,
Doing a couple road gigs in N. Carolina with Montrey. No back line on a couple of them so I'll have my whole rig ( we're driving down). Last one is a Friday night , then flying out Saturday morning for a gig in Bucks County,PA. that night. wasn't planning on check anything, just taking a carry on. Mike will be hauling my gear back and I'll have my second rig waiting for me in Pennsy.
Thinking after everyones responses that I might use two seperate sets of picks and bars to be on the safe side.
Thanks again to all that responded.

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2019 7:31 am    

The "hole" on X-ray left by my Zirconium bar has caused some confusion and extra searching a time or two – I had to tell them what it was. Other than that I haven't experienced any problems when crossing the pond.

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2019 7:36 am    

I kept mine in a bag inside the case with my steel. TSA took Bar,picks and all out and just threw it all back in to roll around banging away at whatever.

They also grabbed my steel by the pull rods and bent almost every one of them. I had to take the guitar apart one hour before we played and try to straighten out all the bends.

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2019 3:53 pm    

Just don't call it a BULLET BAR, whatever you do!!!

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2019 7:58 pm    

If you can actually hijack a jetliner with a steel guitar bar, you're a pretty persuasive dude, dude. Threaten them with flatted 9ths on "Mama Tried?!?" If you wanna do a D.B. Cooper on 'em, at least try and hit 'em up for a parachute that works, this time round. Crying or Very sad

Larry Ball

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2019 12:23 pm    

As a Retired Airline Captain I would recommend putting things like a tone bar in your luggage that is going into the belly. TSA might deem it unacceptable for your carry on luggage. Things change from airport to airport and why lose a good tone bar.

I had a pair of nail clippers taken away from my shaving kit and I was the Captain flying the Airplane. I guess the TSA did not know I had a good "Crash Axe" in the Cockpit that had a pointy tip on it which was far worse that my nail clippers.

My Two Cents...

Last edited by Larry Ball on 1 Mar 2019 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Russell Nugent

LA (lower Alabama)
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2019 5:46 pm    

I can't get on a plane with my two-inch Swiss Army knife on my keychain but my wife can get on with her 12-inch metal knitting needles with sharp points...

Jack Stanton

Post  Posted 1 Mar 2019 12:20 pm    

Thanks to all...I ultimately decided to use a second set of picks and bar. Don't have time to check my bag. Better safe thansorry. I'm rediscovering the joys of my old Emmons bar.

Tracy Sheehan

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2019 6:28 pm     Hank Thompson

Ricky Davis wrote:
I ALWAYS carry pictures of me using/playing/working with any part of my musical bringings on the plane....been doing it for 25 years with NO prob.....it only took that one time and a great personnel that suggested that.
Ricky
Rick we emailed each other but long time ago. Want to ask you if you ever heard Jim Murphy say why Hank would never sit or hang out with his band on breaks? I have always wondered that and always forgot to ask Jim while working on his steel. One time hank came and set down with me after I adjusted one of his pedals on his ZB. I know it has been a long time but would appreciate any info on this subject. Thanks .Tracy

Last edited by Tracy Sheehan on 1 Mar 2019 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tracy Sheehan

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2019 6:34 pm     P.s.

Rick please over look my typos as my eyesight is about gone, Me again.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2019 7:08 pm    

Tracy are you talking about "Hank Williams JR."?? Hank Jr.??
I never talked to Big Jim about time with Hank Jr.; I didn't know he did time with him....as I know Dicky Did and Cowboy.
So I think I remember talking with you about it...but never found out....or forgot...ha....Redd Volkaert might know...if you still wonder.
Ricky

Tracy Sheehan

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2019 9:43 am     Reply

Ricky Davis wrote:
Tracy are you talking about "Hank Williams JR."?? Hank Jr.??
I never talked to Big Jim about time with Hank Jr.; I didn't know he did time with him....as I know Dicky Did and Cowboy.
So I think I remember talking with you about it...but never found out....or forgot...ha....Redd Volkaert might know...if you still wonder.
Ricky
Was talking about Big Jim Murphy. I may be mistaken as I thought you had Jims ZB. I am probably mistaken as my memory about gone also, Tracy BTW Last time I saw Jim he was playing for Hank the 3RD.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2019 1:17 pm    

Yes Tracy I knew you were talking about Big Jim Murphy....I was asking WHAT Hank you were talking about? But now I know and NO I never knew big Jim played with Hank 3rd..and so I never heard any stories from him.
Yes I did take care of Big JIm's STeels....he had 5 different pedal steels and several non-pedal steels...the last 5 or so years of his life when he lived here in Austin. Here's me playing one of them and here's another one I restored for him and here's big jim playing his last pedal steel made for him from Terry Bethal>