The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Roy Thomas
Ben Pickett

Butte Montana
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2019 2:55 pm    

Hey everyone I’m new to the forum. Just a quick fun story for y’all. I live in Lafayette Louisiana and was planning on driving just down the road to Maurice Louisiana where Roy Thomas is from and built his pedal master guitars. A friend of mine told me that he never answers his phone but thought he still lives there so I was planning on just knocking on his door. I ended up calling him anyways before I left my house and he answered to my surprise. I was unaware that he is 96 years old and shut down his shop in 2013 but we talked for about 15 minutes and he is the sweetest old man he was surprised to get a call. very friendly and informative. He told me he had a deal with GFI for 12 years and they would buy parts together to save money. Anyways just a quick little anecdote I thought was fun. I’m sure that if anybody would like to call him and talk he be happy to seriously such a sweet old man.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2019 5:14 am    

How Very Cool!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2019 5:56 am    

I had the pleasure of going to see Roy on a few occasions , years back.

He was the nicest guy you could ever meet, and great to do business with.

In case you didnt know it, the pedalmaster steels he made are great instruments. If you’re looking to buy, and one comes along, you wont regret it. As you mentioned, they shared some parts with GFI, so thats a plus as well if you need anything.

Thank you so much for posting. I’m glad to hear he’s still with us and doing well.