The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question on headphones
Bruce W. Roberts

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2019 9:08 am    

Don't know what happened to my first post, but here goes again.

Is there a way to plug headphones into my Peavey 112 to listen to my steel while at the same time listen to a backing track or song through the headphones as well?

It would sure save my good wife's ears!

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2019 9:12 am    

Does the amp have a second input anywhere? I'm assuming it has a headphone socket.

Bruce W. Roberts

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2019 9:19 am    

It does have a socket. It is a new 112. I will have to look tonight for a second input.

Stuart Tindall

England, UK
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2019 3:20 pm    

From what I can gather Bruce, you can't do what you are saying without a small mixer of some kind.
Here is how I solved the same issue

Basically I used an old Korg Pandora by Toneworks as a small mixer, to mix the guitar input (centre) with an aux input from the headphone output from my computer (right) and this is mixed in the pandora and gives the resulting mixed output to my headphones (left).

If you wanted to use the output from your amp, you would have to take a cable from your amps output to the mixer.
In my case I dont use the amp at all for practicing as the Pandora has Reverb , Delay, compressor etc , if I need any for the guitar signal. I simply take the guitar cable from the volume pedal and take it to the Pandora.
Any small mixer would work the same way, and there are hundreds of such mixers available for little money.
The Pandora is made for guitar, and does away with the need for an amp and for practicing I find it very useful. Others don't even know you are there, even if you are playing with a full band at a good volume through your Headphones.
One final point is I use a set of infra red cordless Headphones which are reasonably cheap to buy and then I have no cables trailing around which can foul the strings. You can see the output goes to the transmitter directly above the Pandora in the first picture and I can sit at my steel independent of any wires.
This system works well for me, as I can mix the music signal with my Guitar, making either louder or quieter whilst adding effects to the guitar signal.
The Pandora has a lot more capabilities as well which I won't go into now.
Good Luck

Karol Wainscott

Kokomo , Indiana
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2019 4:28 pm    

My unit has the head phones going to a "Y" cable adapter , from the "Y" , a line goes to my portable stereo , the other line goes to the headphone jack on my NV112 amp. All components purchased at my local music store . Works great and low cost.

Ken Morgan

Midland, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2019 6:02 pm    

A “More Me” headphone amp/mic mixer should do nicely, with the right impedance adapters...mixes 2 inputs, one mic and one line fed from a mixer/playback unit...blend to taste.

Rolls makes a good one, and this look good...

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-MA400-Ultra-Compact-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B000KUCQXY

Ken Morgan
Midland, TX

Patrick Edwards

Port Orchard, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2019 8:21 am     Cd input nv112

Yes you can quite easily. Plug your CD player into the preamp out CD input on the back of the Nashville 112 . Plug your headphones into the headphone jack , it’s the one with the headphone symbol underneath it. Just to the right of the line out. You can use a 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch stereo adapter in the CD input Good luck Patrick

Bruce W. Roberts

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2019 9:59 am    

Thanks for the ideas