The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Long-Distance Musical Instrument Move
Ken Boi

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2019 4:34 am    

Maybe someone here has done a long-distance move in their life. My inquiry is regarding suggestions/concerns/etc for a cross-country move. I am talking about distances over 1000-miles where multiple trips back and forth is not suitable. A long distance carrier would be in the picture of course as we have large household items, but my concern here is in regards to my musical instruments and amps. Can an established carrier be entrusted with moving a PSG, multiple 6-string acoustic/electric guitars (all in hard-shell cases), and various amps? I would think they have some damage insurance policy, but it's not so much the money that I am concerned about. Rather, my goal would be getting these items to their destination in the same condition as when they left. Will also be driving our SUV (one-way) and I would like to transport the guitars myself but am not sure they all could fit, therefore may have to rely on the carrier to do some of them. Any comments on a move like this from your experience? Thanks.

Ronald Sikes

Corsicana, Tx
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2019 4:39 am    

If you have an SUV I’d rent a small uhaul trailer and haul them that way. You could secure them and know they arrived safely.
Good luck !
Show Pro #26 & #83,BJS bars,Stereo Steel,Tommy Huff cabs loaded with JBL D130's, Wampler pedals,NV112,NV400, Steelers Choice Seats

Ken Boi

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2019 3:47 am    

Ronald Sikes wrote:
If you have an SUV I’d rent a small uhaul trailer and haul them that way. You could secure them and know they arrived safely.
Good luck !

Ron,

That's an option I hadn't thought of. Might not be my preferred choice for transport but it is worth me investigating. As you state, I would be in full control of the cargo at least. Thanks.

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2019 6:58 am    

Doing it yourself by renting a trailer/whatever is the first thing that I thought of.

However.......there is one more thing to be concerned about.

If you don't drive straight through, and pull in to a motel for the night, be sure to take precautions.
Thieves might break into the trailer, or steal the trailer, or grab the SUV and trailer all in one.

The same goes for stopping for meals. If at all possible, don't let ti out of your sight.

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2019 10:28 am    

Just completed a 1,000-mile move myself. I probably don’t have the amount of gear as you but ... I read all the reviews I could find before settling on a national moving outfit.

I watched as they loaded my guitars and unloaded them at the other end, all without incident. I didn’t actually get in the back of the truck to see how they packed them but I asked them to be careful as they went in.

Would I ship a $20,000 Les Paul this way? Probably not.

I agree 100% with ajm: no way do I leave my stuff in a car or trailer unattended for ANY length of time.

Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2019 10:59 am    

I recently moved 800 miles with lots of instruments and tools. ABF freight hauled most of the items in a you-pack semi trailer. I spent a couple months prior over packing most anything of value. On moving day I loaded the ABF trailer with most everything and put a couple items in my truck and down the road things went.

Several days later at the new location the trailer arrived and I unloaded it. Everything that was well packed survived with zero damage. I did have one tool cabinet damaged when a couple tie-bands broke and some hardwood lumber fell onto the cabinet. I would move the same way again if needed, but hope to never move again.

Robert

Ken Boi

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2019 7:50 pm    

If I were to go with a trailer, I would unload the guitars each night at the hotel based on the suggestions.

ABF freight looks interesting. It will come down to how energetic we feel about self-loading everything. Also cost quotes (self-loading versus full move services) will help determine that decision.

Thanks all.

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2019 4:36 am    

I would move it myself, and not take chances. The fact that you're asking this question at all should reveal the answer: You just can't trust anyone else to care as much as you will.I had an 84 Toyota Corolla packed so full I had to sit funny, and could barely see out the windows when I moved back to NC from AZ. Just my opinion but, if you have irreplaceable musical instruments, you are probably the only one that can be trusted with their care. Also, if you have a passenger, you could slip-seat the trip and avoid having to let it sit a a hotel at all.

Ronald Sikes

Corsicana, Tx
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2019 6:20 am    

Whenever I pull a trailer I always use the big round stainless steel padlocks. Can’t saw through them or bust them open. You normally have to parallel park with a trailer, so if someone is following you in another vehicle, we alwasy park it close to the back door so it can’t open.
Show Pro #26 & #83,BJS bars,Stereo Steel,Tommy Huff cabs loaded with JBL D130's, Wampler pedals,NV112,NV400, Steelers Choice Seats