The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Disadvantages to equal-spaced strings (nut and bridge)
James Inkster

Ukee, BC
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2019 11:18 am    

Hi guys!

I'm building a new 8-string lap steel and I've been thinking about going with equally spaced strings (3/8") at both the nut and bridge.

On both my old bakelite rick and my dobro the spacing is wider at the bridge than the nut.
Is that done for a reason, or just tradition?

It seems equally spaced would make sense, and might even make slants easier?

Are there any drawbacks to equally spaced?
Would other steel players look at it as wonky?

Cheers!

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2019 4:48 pm    

I've seen a number of six string guitars with 3/8" parallel spacing and it's my favorite arrangement. Eight strings with 3/8" spacing at the bridge and nut does look a little funny to me but I think that's just because I'm not as accustomed to it. If you decide it's not for you, you could just replace the nut.

Thiel Hatt

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2019 7:06 pm    

The narrower spacing at the nut might accomodate forward and reverse bar slants when you are using the round nose of the bar to get three string chords.. Then, of course that would vary, depending on the diameter of the bar..Frankly, it's a matter of preference.. The pedal-Dobro I made (and sold) had the equal spacing, and it worked fine for me...In this application is there really a wrong or right ??

Francisco Castillo

Easter Island, Chile
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2019 7:18 pm    

I changed the nut in my Gretsch 5700 to try equally spaced nut n bridge. Super comfortable.

David Matzenik

Cairns, on the Coral Sea
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2019 1:23 pm    

When I built my 8 string guitar, I gave the fretboard a slight taper purely for aesthetics. My concern was the spacing at the picking end, which I find comfortable at 7/16ths. That makes the nut spacing 3/8ths. I have never been aware of facility or otherwise with slants. Once I get the bar near the notes, I am playing by ear because I cannot see the frets. Works for me.

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2019 2:17 pm    

If you look at the trigonometry of bar slants: the closer the strings are to each other, the more acute the angle of slant needs to be. So, to my thinking, a wider string spacing should be better for slants. Of course, at some point covering the strings adequately with the bar becomes more difficult as the string spacing is increased. I think 3/8" at the nut would be the happy medium for me. At least for now. Confused

Don Barnhardt

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2019 5:01 pm    

If you are comfortable playing with equal (parallel) spacing it's an advantage. If it's uncomfortable it' a disadvantage the only way you'll know is to try it. I've tried it bot ways and I'm comfortable with it on 6 string but not on 8 string. I like 7/16" parallel on 6 string,but I prefer 3/8" at the bridge and 5/16" at the nut for 8 string.

Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2019 8:30 am    

The only real reason to have closer spacing at the nut was originally due to the standard guitarists need to be able to wrap fingers around the neck to fret all the strings. (for open chords)

Because the steel guitar evolved from fretted instruments, makers continued the practice of tapering the necks (and nut spacing) on steel guitars.

As stated above most of us learned on instruments with tighter spacing on the lower fret positions.

However now that I build my own steel guitars I prefer the wider 3/8" and parallel strings.

Dom.

Keith Glendinning

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2019 10:38 am    

I'm a bedroom and occasional "get together" player. I make my own Lap Steel guitars and both 6 string and 8 string guitars that I have made so far have had 3/8" parallel spacing.
I have made guitars between 22.5" scale and 25" scale lengths and have never had a problem with finding comfortable slants.
It's all doable if you practice.
Keith.

Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2019 4:24 pm    

An advantage of equal spaced at nut and bridge is that bar slants have one less variable to deal with.

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2019 8:20 pm    

I'm not sure if the assumption that unequal spacing makes for less in-tuneness for threebees is correct? And then of course, fourbees even more so... I'm trying to do the physics in my head without even knowing what physics apply. Besides the likely... umm... inattention of the Steel Guitar Bar Slant In-Tuneness Police (ha ha, just go fast and hose the goobers!) is this even real? Question

David Knutson

Cowichan Valley, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2019 2:31 pm    

Hi James, Just my two cents (Canadian) here - When I built my eight string steel I puzzled over exactly this question, and finally decided to go with the same spacing as my 8 string reso, the Gold Tone PBS I bought from you. 5/16 nut, 3/8 bridge(+-). I'm glad I did that, as I switch back and forth between them a lot. I don't know if you do much slanting on your Dobros, but just thought I'd toss out the consistency idea.

Tommy Auldridge

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2019 3:04 pm     Think about this !

I'm Thinking, wouldn't bar slants be easier if the taper were actually wider at the nut than at the bridge? Down near the nut, the frets are farther apart, so I think it makes more sense. I know that's completely backwards from the normal way they were always designed and built, but it makes more sense. Think about that for a minute. Thanks, Tommy.....