The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What Amp To Buy?
Dennis Whitley

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2019 4:17 pm    

Hi guys, new to the Steel, but not new to the industry. I have played professionally for over 45 years as a Bass Player in Country. Even played the ET Record shop back in the day! Some of you may even recognize my name.

I recently bought a Red Barron single neck, and am playing through one of my bass amps, just to get the hang of it. Yuck, no reverb Sad

So now, what amp to buy? I am currently hung between the Session and Nashville 400 or 500. Both seem reasonably priced on Ebay and Guitar Center. I am only playing at home, but I like to use good equipment.

If any of you have a good used Session or Nashville, 400 /500, please let me know, and I'll send you the funds and get the ball rolling

I can be reached at dhwhitley@tampabay.rr.com

Thanks

Dennis H. Whitley

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2019 4:28 pm    

Many bass amps make fine pedal steel amps. Especially for a beginner. Easy to add reverb with a stomp box.

Having started on a Red Barron myself, I would suggest you save whatever funds you have earmarked for a new amp, and put it towards upgrading your instrument. If you progress even half as fast as I did (but not half-assed), you will outgrow that Red Barron before you know it.

Jim Saunders

Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2019 7:25 am     Nv112

Your question will draw as many recommendations as there are amps. But, in my humble opinion, the NV112 is best suited for what you describe and even to the top pro level. Buck Reid uses a NV112. Need I say more?

Jim Saunders

Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2019 7:26 am     Nv112

Delete the duplicate post.

Last edited by Jim Saunders on 19 Feb 2019 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2019 7:29 am     Nashville 112

Call me toll free at 1-877-732-8391, ext. 1180 should you have any questions about Peavey products.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2019 8:00 am    

I agree with Jack. Get a better guitar and use a reverb pedal with your bass amp.

I got a Markbass amp to lighten my load, and it is the worst amp I have ever used with my steel. Even with a good eq (Source Audio)' I can't get what I consider a decent tone. I carry it only as a backup for my NV400. It will do in a pinch. I wish it had a power amp in Jack so I can plug the preamp out on my NV400 into the Markbass power amp. It really rocks. Other bass amps may be better.

I also tried a Fender Rumble once. And couldn't find a good tone, but in all fairness, I didn't have the time to really experiment like I have with the Markbass.

My favorite Peavey amp is the 500. Wish I could still carry one. I prefer the NV400 over the Session 400. I used a silver knob Session for a while, and really never liked it.

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2019 5:35 am    

For about the price of a really good effects pedal you could pick up a Boss Katana and have a few effects built in as well as a decent tone......You can grow with this amp as it can be used at home or stage.....

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2019 6:11 am     what amp to buy

Katana or Nashville 112.

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2019 6:25 am     Nashville 112

has internal spring reverb and an effects loop.

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2019 11:01 am    

Katana has 15 effects.....3 can be used at once
Also has an effects loop as well as USB connectivity

Katana 100 watt combo w/1-12 inch speaker ...$350
Peavey Nashville 112 80 watt.....$750

Charley Paul

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2019 3:04 pm    

You really can’t go wrong with a vintage Fender Pro Reverb or Twin Reverb.

There’s someone who can work on them any place you go. They are built like tanks and sound glorious with pedal steel.

I bought a 66 Pro Reverb for $1400. Jensen Concert speakers, original transformers, rebuilt vibrato that doesn’t click, and 3 prong cord. Had it gone through thoroughly for cheap to replace any caps, etc. It is just about the perfect amp for steel. Big enough to stay tight in the low end, and sweet all around. And warm. Smaller than a Twin but loud! Perfection.