The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 MK2
Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2019 6:55 pm    

I just got this audio interface and haven't been able to get all four of the line outputs to work at the same time. My objective is to use 1&2 to run to my PA mixer and 3&4 to run to my home stereo system. There must be a way to get all four outputting but I haven't been able to so far. Does anyone have experience with this unit? The manual seems to be fairly useless.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2019 2:36 am    

well for one thing it's an audio interface and needs to be TOLD what to do. Its not a 4 channel mixer, it's job is to route audio signals from another source, like a DAW .

How are you sending your audio signals to the interface outputs ? Start there.

I use a 4 in 4 out interface, the brand is not important.

In my DAW, I tell the interface which INPUTS I am using and WHICH OUTPUTS I am using. In the DAW the outputs show up as 2 stereo pairs, 1+2 and 3+4. I can send different tracks to different outputs or to a single mono output should I desire.

How are you setting it up ? . Where are the audio signals coming from ?

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2019 6:06 am    

Tony, I tried telling it what to do without any success. My setup is a bit involved. My laptop is connected to the interface through the USB port on the back. I've got the two 1/4 outputs going to my studio monitors. The 1&2 line outputs are running to my PA 10 channel mixer. My guitar is going from the direct out on my Telonics amp to the channel 1 input on the interface. Thus far everything is functional. But I had hoped to use the 3&4 line outs to connect to my home stereo at the same time. That's where the problem is.
Obviously I'm using it for playback at this point but my goal is record my guitar with backing tracks if I can master the software. It came with Pro Tools First as well as Ableton Lite. Within Ableton I tried to set the Audio I/O so all four line outs would work at once but without success.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2019 6:20 am    

I had a 6i6 2nd gen version (and sent it back) as only some inputs and outputs were programmable (user assignable) the rest were fixed. Not very user friendly.

I only wanted it for a backup unit but with it being inflexible it was not even a good candidate for backup.

Mathew Peluso

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2019 8:25 am    

Is there an included disc or download available for software specific to the interface? I ask because I have a Focusrite Clarett 4Pre and I had to go into the installed software to change the layout of the interface. For whatever reason the headphone out was bypassed and it couldn't be altered from the hardware itself or within my DAW. It could be that one set of line outs are bypassed or routed elsewhere.

Tim Kowalski

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2019 8:31 am    

Bill,
You need to assign the outputs in the Focusrite ASIO driver. You have to identify the first and last output to include all of them. This would probably be in the audio device preferences of your DAW.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2019 11:46 am    

Tim Kowalski wrote:
Bill,
You need to assign the outputs in the Focusrite ASIO driver. You have to identify the first and last output to include all of them. This would probably be in the audio device preferences of your DAW.

What Tom said , the outputs 3+4 need to be assigned. This is not uncommon but is easier with other interfaces. Its not the DAW, it's the assignment .

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2019 3:33 pm    

I seem to have assigned them but still no good. In Ableton Live Lite, in the preferences section I made a change in the 'driver type' box. It was set to MME/DirectX and I switched it to Focusrite USB ASIO. After that when I opened the output config box there was now the option to select all four outputs in both mono and stereo. So I did that but I am still getting no sound from 3&4. It's got me baffled.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2019 2:52 am    

swap the outputs - physically - make sure the the stuff outside the box is working properly

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2019 6:36 pm    

Thanks folks. I'm going to do like Jack did and return this thing. It's too cryptic for me.

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2019 2:02 am    

Bill Miller wrote:
Thanks folks. I'm going to do like Jack did and return this thing. It's too cryptic for me.

I love Presonus. Sweetwater.com guys are good at matching you up with what you need.

RC

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2019 10:41 am    

Rick, I actually have a Presonus interface I got a couple of years ago. I made a modest start with it using Studio One 3 and abandoned it after getting frustrated with the software. I saw somewhere that Focusrite was easier to use and decided to try that. I was barking up the wrong tree. I think some people just innately mesh better with the technology. I'd need a lot of one on one instruction and hand holding. I think I would learn it fine in a situation where I could ask and get answers in real time when I get stuck. But patience enough to pore over convoluted and vague documentation is not my strong point. I got as far as importing rhythm tracks and recording some of my playing over them. But then I needed to fix the mistakes and that was a wall I didn't get over. I messed around with Audacity years ago and managed to do quite a bit of editing with that.
Anyways, one lesson learned: It ain't the brand of interface or software at fault. It's me.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2019 11:43 am    

On the other hand, I find some of the recording interface control software that comes with the unit is the fault. I had a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 and the Focusrite control software was so confusing I never ventured past the default setup (and I'm a computer geek). I have an MOTU 896Mk3 Hybrid recording interface unit. The MOTU control software for it "took some time" to figure it out.

FWIW, I've tried several Presonus recording interface units, both Firewire and USB. I tried the current Firewire model years ago before abandoning and buying the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, as every one I tried (3 new ones) had an initial hardware problem of some kind. Two years ago, I tried the new Studio 192 USB 3.0 interface unit. It worked the first day, the second day I powered it on and couldn't power it off with the power switch (latency was poor too).

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2019 2:49 pm    

What I have is the Presonus AudioBox 44VSL. I'll probably take another run at it someday. It also has four line outs on the back and I never could get all four outputting at once. Maybe they aren't even supposed to. But then why have four instead of two?