The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fred Layman
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2019 10:35 am    

It's with sadness that I post this. In George Geisser's Flynn guitar topic, I was informed that Fred Layman passed away in March of 2018.

I checked around the forum and could find no mention of this.

I found the obituary from the funeral home here: https://www.dayfh.com/obituary/dr-fred-layman-

Fred was a large figure in the steel guitar world writing articles for magazines, devising steel guitar mechanical devices, guitar building, organizing the Central Ky. Steel Guitar Club and holding many regional shows around the Lexington Ky. area.

The Kentucky Classic in Lexington was a large 2 day show for many years with many professional and well known steel guitar players.

Fred also acquired Harold Flynn's steel guitar company following Harold's passing.

I'm a bit disappointed that I had not heard about this earlier, and I know that there are many here who are interested and may not have heard as well.

Because Fred's first wife, Donna, passed earlier I do not know any of Fred's family members and I would defer to them in the event they would not want this information posted here.

Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2019 8:14 pm    

I was instantly impressed and drawn to This gentle, kind, soft spoken Soul, named Fred Layman when I met Him in the mid-nineties at the ISGC. In fact, I met Fred in Harold Flynn's display room, of course we were talking "steel guitars" among many other topics. Fred was a"class" act in every sense, and I gained an immense respect for His wisdom, knowledge, and the willingness to share those things. I can't understand why His passing went unnoticed here on the forum? RIP, my friend. Lonnie Portwood

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2019 5:49 am    

I echo Lonnie's comments. Fred was an intelligent, classy, gentle man. I'm surprised too that his passing wasn't noticed here on the Forum. He was a great contributor to this community for many years. RIP, Fred.

Bob Cox

Buckeye State
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2019 6:15 am    

Fred was a wonderful person and a great host at his steel shows in Lexington KY. He was very sharp in the world of Steels. Fred we will mis you.

Duane Dunard

Troy, MO. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2019 12:21 pm    

I’m very sorry to hear this. Fred was very kind to me at his Kentucky show and his advice was greatly appreciated. RIP Fred.

Paul Redmond

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2019 7:11 pm    

Fred was a real class act.
PRR

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2019 4:50 pm    

Fred did a lot of the tab many pro's put out. I wished I'd tapped into his know-how in time. RIP, Fred.

Russ Wever

Kansas City
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2019 12:06 am    

What a nice and brilliant, knowledgeable guy Fred was.
He was a founding board-member of the International Steel
Guitar Hall Of Fame.
Rather surprised, though, that neither his obituary nor
the accompanying slideshow offered any evidence of his
vast, longtime and diverse involvement in the Steel Guitar
world!
May God keep his soul,
Russ

winston

Frankfort, Kentucky 40601
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2019 7:15 am    

R.I. P. Fred.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2019 10:08 pm    

Godspeed Fred.

This is the thread to which Jerry refers.

It was mentioned that Fred passed March 9 2018 at 86.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=341636

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2019 4:07 am    

I first heard of Fred Layman by reading articles that he had written on playing Steel Guitar. Later I learned that he was born and raised here in Marshfield Missouri where I now live and taught school. Interestingly enough I know Fred's brother and taught school with his sister in law. I just saw his brother last Friday and visited at the post office here. He told me that they had an Uncle who was quite a Steel Guitarist too. That's where Fred first developed an in interest in Steel Guitar. Fred was quite a guy and a nice man. He is buried about 1 mile from where we now live in the Marshfield City Cemetery. RIP Fred Layman

Weldon Hargraves

Hamilton, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2019 5:02 am     Fred Layman

Fred was gracious enough to allow this no-name picker to perform in one of his shows! As I remember I played for him at his home previous to the show to prove I could actually play a steel guitar. Great fellow!

Weldon Hargraves