The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  to bob about speaker cable?
Jack Goodson

new brockton,alabama (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2019 6:06 pm    

BoB, doe,s the cable that you sell by the 25 foot roll along with the plugs also work as speaker cable? i need cables to plug from a session 500 amp to 2/15 inch black widows....thanks jack

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2019 8:38 pm     The Speaker Cords.

Just use regular electrical lamp cord for speaker wire.

Derrick Unger

Newark Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2019 9:38 pm     What will work

I just went through this 2 days ago..I have 15 combo amps sitting in my studio meaning speakers and amps in same cabinet...just bought a peavey valvekingII tube amp head and I was told not to hook it to cabinet with a guitar cable but use speaker cable cable..about crapped my pants when I saw prices..made me think back to the early 70's and I thought my Fender Bassman Head was hooked to the cabinet with a cable that looked like lamp wire...will this work and be alright???
Music is good for the soul..playing it is even better! Gretsch6strLapSteel*PeaveyNashville400*HudsonSD-10*DigitechRP360*FenderChampion100*PeaveyKB300*Goodrich120*Behringerx1204*BehringerMini4*Mullen S10"Discovery"*Peavey Vegas400*Princeton112plus*SuperChampX2*SidekickReverb65*Rumble100*MarshallMG50DFX*Nashville112

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2019 1:34 am    

Yes, stranded, side-by-side lamp cord works fine. Depending on wattage, I'd use 16 gauge or larger wire - i.e., gauge number smaller. I guess 18 gauge is OK for a low-power amp, and I'd use 14 or even 12 gauge for a real high-power amp or longer cable run. But I think 16 gauge works fine for a short run in most situations. I generally solder a right-angle 1/4" jack to the amp end, and do whatever works on the speaker/cab end.

Definitely do not use a guitar patch cable. It is not designed for power signals - the wire is almost always too small, and 2-conductor shielded wire is not the way to go anyway.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2019 1:35 am    

Speaker cable needs to be thick enough to have a negligible resistance compared to the speaker. I use the stuff I kept from an old electric lawnmower.

Jack Goodson

Post  Posted 16 Feb 2019 7:12 am     speaker cable?

the reason for asking is the cable that bob sells has copper amd is a larger cable and has the quick fix ends. i have used extension cords before and they work great....thanks jack

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2019 7:25 am    

DO NOT use instrument cable or "quick-fix" plugs (George-L's) for speakers!

Lamp cord (also known as zip cord) is inexpensive, and fine for speaker wire. You can get it at Ace, Home Depot, Lowe's, or any hardware store. Since the maximum recommended length which can be used depends on the speaker impedance, here's a table for the maximum wire-lengths when it's used for speaker wire:
Tab:

Wire size   2 Ω load  4 Ω load   6 Ω load  8 Ω load
---------------------------------------------------
22 AWG        3 ft      6 ft      9 ft      12 ft

20 AWG        5 ft      10 ft     15 ft     20 ft

18 AWG        8 ft      16 ft     24 ft     32 ft

16 AWG        12 ft     24 ft     36 ft     48 ft

14 AWG        20 ft     40 ft     60 ft     80 ft

12 AWG        30 ft     60 ft     90 ft     120 ft

10 AWG        50 ft     100 ft    150 ft    200 ft

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2019 8:16 am    

You can buy all kinds of speaker cable from such places as Musicians Friend. They have 12 gauge speaker cable with the 1/4" ends on starting at $10.99.
And 16 gauge from $6.99, with the ends. Very Happy
Erv

Steve Rosko

Georgetown, Texas
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2019 10:27 am    

Just curious; what's wrong with using George L's between rack and speakers?

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2019 11:07 am    

See Dave M's reply. For more technical info from Carvin, their product propaganda not withstanding, see the What Happens paragraph in this link:
https://carvinaudio.com/blogs/guitar-bass-education/speaker-vs-instrument-cables-a-simple-guide

You might get by with it for really short runs, but you're gambling with your gear. From one who has seen amp damage from shorted speaker cable, I would never consider substituting one for the other.

Jack Goodson

Post  Posted 17 Feb 2019 3:31 pm     copper cable for speakers

the reason i posted this is the cable that bob sells says it is some type of copper, so i thought it would be nice if it would work for speakers as well as instruments it would be nice to repair on the job.....thanks for all the replies i have made a lot of speaker cables that you refer to over the years....thanks jack

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2019 3:45 pm    

Steve Rosko wrote:
Just curious; what's wrong with using George L's between rack and speakers?

Several things. First, the "quick" connectors are meant for guitar cables. There's more of a chance they can short out or go open than with soldered plugs. Now, on a guitar cord, this just means no sound...it's not a big deal, and you'd just replace the cord. But a short or open on a speaker wire can destroy the amp, sometimes very quickly! Also, there's the issue of the cable affecting the sound and amp loading, both due to the small center conductor, and also the increased capacitance that coaxial cable has.

It's just a bad idea to use instrument cables on speakers.