The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jam Sessions
Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2019 12:56 pm    

I am wondering how many of you Non-pedal steel players out there go to regular Jam Sessions?

I don't get to very often, but when I do it's a blast!
There are always too many standard guitarists, but rarely a steel or dobro player. So I really get to be a ham. I have been to blues jams, Acoustic and Bluegrass Jams (with my resonator) and Jazz Jams are my favorite. (I always learn something new at Jazz Jams)

Dom Winking

Joe Burke

Toronto, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2019 8:24 pm    

I host a weekend bluegrass jam. It’s a blast. And somehow only 2 guitar players show up! Otherwise there’s a fiddle, mandolin, and sometimes bass and banjo.

We call it bluegrass, but we throw in some country, folk, Hawaiian and a little jazz. This jam makes my week!

Jim Pollard

Cedar Park, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2019 5:52 am    

Yep, last week ended up at the Austin Friends of Traditional Music Jam with my new (to me) dobro. They played fiddle tunes in G for an hour while I entertained myself non-stop!

David Dawson

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2019 7:35 am    

Here in Rockport there are jams almost every night (and some afternoons) during the months when our winter Texan friends are here. Although you never know what or whom to expect, I am usually the only steel player to show so I normally get to play quite a bit. Other Dobro players come but the jams are usually so large and loud they cannot be heard, which is the reason I play lap steel, tuned Dobro G.

During the summer months there are two close by that keep going that I know about, and with church and other things, it is enough for those of us with advanced seniority.

In short, there are lots of opportunities to play here on the Gulf Coast.

Come visit with us sometime. The shrimp are always fresh and tasty.

Brad Richard

Chisago City, Minnesota
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2019 7:54 am    

I go to a bluegrass (mainly) jam once a month. Nobody's exceptional so we all just do our best, encourage each other and have a really good time. I usually bring my dobro, but this time I think I'll bring along my 5 string banjo too. I expect I'll also show up with my lap steel soon. With this weather, you gotta have something to do or you go Whoa!

A few of us are fairly regular and others come and go (but are always welcome). We also have "field trips" where some will meet up for a meal and listen to live music. And, weather permitting, we have BBQ/jams, etc. with family. It gets to be quite social which adds a lot.

Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2019 8:57 am    

I went to a local jazz jam session last night and although I was out of my league, I did alright. They played mostly standards from the "REAL BOOK" and the chord progressions were not easy for me to follow.

I learned some new tunes, but I realize I need to work on reading music more... I can barely keep up with the chord changes, and sight reading the (head) melody is just not possible for me on lap steel... But I am going to work hard on it now.

Back to the woodshed.
Dom

Brian McGaughey

Orcas Island, WA USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2019 6:49 am    

I participate on dobro in several ongoing bluegrass jams around here. They’re nearly always fun and give me plenty of material for the wood shed. Jams versus a committed combo group suit my lifestyle better due to kids and activities.

George Rout

St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2019 7:42 pm    

We have approx ten of us who have a fun jam session at the Mahtay Cafe & Lounge every Saturday morning in downtown St. Catharines. It's purely fun and many genres of music.

Geo

"I play in the A Major tuning. It's fun to learn and so easy to play. It's as old as the hills....like me"

Dave Thier

Fairhope, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2019 4:24 pm    

We have a great bluegrass jam at the local brewing company here where I play dobro and acoustic guitar. Unfortunately many of the events around here advertised as a "jam" here are really open mics or stage performances.