The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  GFI question
Eric Davidson

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2019 5:19 pm    

Hi everyone, it’s been a while. I sold my beloved Sho-bud a few years ago after my twins were born for financial reasons and now I’m looking to get another pedal steel if the price is right. I saw this for sale in my area today and thought I’d ask the pros. I realize it’s probably not the perfect pedal steel, but am interested to know if it would be sufficient as a re-introductory steel? I know next to nothing about GFI but I suspect it’s a student model which is fine to me, but is it worth $800? Thanks!

Charlie Hansen

Halifax, NS Canada and Various Southern Towns.
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2019 8:09 pm    

I had one of those. I suited me very well. Played easy and sounded fine.
A Touch Of Texas CIOE FM 97.5 Sackville, NS, Canada,
on the web at cioe975.ca.

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2019 9:28 pm    

That is their student model. It will be a pull release changer.

Karol Wainscott

Kokomo , Indiana
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2019 10:19 am    

GFI is a great guitar . I have a SD-10 Ultra .

Eric Davidson

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2019 2:40 pm    

Thank you all for the replies. I didn’t find many YouTube videos with this particular model but the couple I did find sounded great. Is 800$ reasonable?

Jerry Recktenwald

Louisville KY
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2019 5:50 am    

I have been playing for a little over 2 years now. And am learning also just having fun playing music. I have a GFI SM 10 it's just fine with me. Whatever you have in life the grass will always look greener when it is just as brown

Jerry Erickson

Atlanta,IL 61723
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2019 1:21 pm    

How many knee levers does it have? A new one from GFI is $1350 with 2 knee levers, and a 4 knee lever model is $1600. Seems to be a fair price.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2019 3:34 pm    

That’s a very good deal but if you could spend A little more you could get a Zum Stage one an the stage one holes ther value most times they sell used for the price of a new stage one.
There is a little wait time on new orders but worth the weight.
Don’t conpare a student model gfi to there Ultra model the ultra is a full blown pro model
All pull.

Eric Davidson

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2019 5:58 pm    

Jerry Erickson wrote:
How many knee levers does it have? A new one from GFI is $1350 with 2 knee levers, and a 4 knee lever model is $1600. Seems to be a fair price.

It has 4 but I think it may be sold already :/

Eric Davidson

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2019 6:00 pm    

Johnie King wrote:
That’s a very good deal but if you could spend A little more you could get a Zum Stage one an the stage one holes ther value most times they sell used for the price of a new stage one.
There is a little wait time on new orders but worth the weight.
Don’t conpare a student model gfi to there Ultra model the ultra is a full blown pro model
All pull.

Thanks! I didn't know about the stage one but it looks like they stopped accepting orders as of March of 2018 "for a while" according to their website. Seems like they've gotten rave reviews though. I guess the search continues

Daniel Phelps

Versailles, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2019 7:28 pm    

Hey Eric,
I'm learning on a Stage One, and it's great. I never have to think about the guitar, only playing it.

They show up in the classifieds sometimes. I recommend you snatch it up quick if you see one, because it won't last long. The market for a steel in this price range is very healthy.

There's also the Encore, which is a step up from the Stage One.

All that said, there's nothing wrong with a less expensive 3+2 GFI Student Model. You can play music all day mashing AB and moving the Es (er, at least I think I can). And if you buy it used, you'll be able to move it later without losing much, if anything at all.

Daniel

Brian Hollands

Geneva, FL USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2019 4:13 am    

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=341810
Send Rick a PM asap. If you miss this one, just keep checking the fir sale page. Good deals show up a couple times a month but they go fast. If you've got more budget, LM English has Seirra Session for $1600 which is all the guitar anyone would ever need. If I wasn't committed to my LDG I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Good luck

Eric Davidson

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2019 4:47 am    

Brian Hollands wrote:
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=341810
Send Rick a PM asap. If you miss this one, just keep checking the fir sale page. Good deals show up a couple times a month but they go fast. If you've got more budget, LM English has Seirra Session for $1600 which is all the guitar anyone would ever need. If I wasn't committed to my LDG I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Good luck

Thanks for the heads up! But that one appears to be gone and holy cow was that fast

Ernie Pollock

Mt Savage, Md USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2019 12:01 pm     GFI Steels

I knew Gene Fields pretty good, he visited me a time or two, what a great guy & so I would say his
guitars were very nice, I played one for several years, never had a problem with it, or Gene, who is now deceased.
Sorry to say that I had quit playing for a while & sold mine, now playing a '74' MSA S-10 with 5 & 5. It is a bit heavy, but I just put it in the back of my station wagon out of the case, but I don't play out too much anymore. I am 74 years young & stil practice & play most everyday.

Ernie Pollock

Eric Davidson

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2019 3:09 pm     Update

So today I picked up the original GFI SM that I was interested in that I posted about and thought was sold. Apparently, the guy who was going to buy it backed out!! It looks brand new, and the guy threw in a JD920 tone bar, a Boss super chorus, an MXR dyna comp and and a danelectro comp pedal. I doubt I’ll be using any of those with it but it was incredibly nice he threw them in unprompted. The guitar seems well made although the pickup seems really close to the strings, less than 1/4”, but obviously that’s easily adjusted if need be.