The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  N400 Peavey Tolex hunt
Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2019 5:28 pm    

Anyone know where to get some of the tolex Peavey used on the N400? Shown in background of pic.

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2019 6:21 am     Molex connectors

Boy have I heard good things, and bad things about these connectors through the years..................
They were good for production use in the various Peavey amplifiers(quick and easy), but when "one" Molex was the cause of an intermittent problem, then they weren't worth a "+_)*&!". But in a production situation, they made sense(the computer industry used them too), but I didn't hear much from folks about a Molex causing a problem(but I feel sure that the computer industry was tire of hearing this too!).

Anyway, the wires could have been soldered(hard wired), but that would have cost more money, therefore making the product more expensive. Fortunately, there weren't "that many" reverb pans that were defective and the whole thing blew over and everyone forgot about it..............except those repairing amp models that incorporated a Molex plug into their designs. I'm sure that there are those repairman who still gripe about it though.(:

However, we move on and learn. Molex connectors are a thing of the past.

Bill A. Moore

Silver City, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2019 7:44 am    

Mike, the Molex connectors were used a lot in the 60's 70's Ford, and Chrysler vehicles. (That's why I have tools to work with them). The worst problems were where the connector pushed onto pins in a circuit board, (similar to what Peavey used), with no way of latching the connector. I used to find the problem, tighten the female pins, and then reattach with some silicone to stabilize the connector.

Mike Brown

Post  Posted 20 Feb 2019 7:48 am     Molex

Exactly.................or hardwire the connections.

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2019 7:50 am    

Moped or Tolex?

Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2019 8:25 am    

actually I was only using the pic for convenience from another post re the molex connector to show the tolex I was looking for. Both problems solved though. Found the exact molex connectors on Ebay, and there's enough of the same tolex used for the rev tank bag to do the repair on the N400 cab. Almost the same word though except for the first letter Mr. Green
The MOlex connector itself was ok, it was an old faulty solder repair of the wires just before it that was the problem which required removing the old pins and installing new ones. It was easier to just order the new connector than bother with ordering the special tool to extract the pins from the old connector.

Mike Brown

Post  Posted 20 Feb 2019 2:36 pm     Tolex

Can be purchased through the Peavey parts department at $5.99 which is sold by the foot. If some orders 1 foot, it will be a piece 12" x 66". If someone orders 2 feet, it will be a piece 24" x 66" and so on.

Call 1-877-732-8391, ext. 8106 at Peavey.

Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2019 3:37 pm    

Great. I won't have to cut up the rev bag then.

thanks Mike

Steve Sycamore

Sweden
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2019 12:59 am    

I've been wondering too about where to buy replacement Tolex covering for the cabinet. The material Peavey used is very heavily resistant to wear and damage and looks great. It would be ideal as a covering for custom cabinets besides the Peavey. Thanks.