The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Which speaker (on limited budget)?
Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2018 9:21 am    

If you had a budget of $100 or less and wanted a 12", 4-ohm speaker, which would you choose?

The speaker would potentially be used for pedal steel and/or lead guitar.

I will also be happy to hear some recommendations for 8-ohm speakers, but would prefer 4-ohm.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2018 10:20 am    

For a ≤ $100 budget, 4 Ohms, and application to both pedal steel and guitar, I'd probably say a Peavey Blue Marvel out of a Nashville 112, or its Eminence equivalent (not sure they market it separately, though). In fact, I see them very reasonable on the forum sometimes. I think it's a good, mid-level, fairly traditional guitar speaker that has a fair amount of clean headroom. If I could find a comparable speaker at 8 Ohms to stick into a Deluxe Reverb, I'd try it. Some guitar players don't like them because they're too clean, but that's precisely why I like it.

Another good speaker in the same general vein is the Weber 12F150 12" Speaker. I use them in a couple of amps - a Deluxe Reverb and sometimes my tweed Deluxe if I want a bit more clean. I use the 50-watt version, larger H Dustcap, I think they're medium dope to help it hold together for clean but not too much. There are several variations in the 12F150, I think mine are just the plain version. I think the retail is slightly over $100, but I suspect one can find them out there for less.

I'd suggest an Eminence Patriot Cannabis Rex if they made a 4 Ohm version, but I don't think they do. Only Eminence Patriot I can see at 4 Ohms is Texas Heat, not what I'd use in the application you're talking about.

There are no doubt many others, especially if you go used. I wish Eminence made more 4 Ohm speakers - I think they're generally very good, but the vast majority are 8 Ohms, with some at 16 Ohms for use in 4x12" cabs.

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2018 11:22 am    

Thanks Dave! And especially for the comment on the Texas Heat. I did see that one and wondered about it.

I came across the Jensen C12N in a 4ohm version, rated 50 watts. And the Jensen C12K rated at 100 watts. Also the MOD 12-70. Seems like the MOD and the C12N are more lead guitar friendly, with descriptions of the mids & highs as having bite. Not so sure that's what I want for PSG application.

Would love to hear from others, if anyone has opinions/experiences to share.

Dustin Kleingartner

Saint Paul MN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2018 11:28 am    

I've come to really like Warehouse Guitar Speakers, made in Paducah KY.

I would recommend the WGS ET65. I have bought a few of these and love all of them! Don't let the "British Invasion" thing scare you, these are great for country music. Crystal clear, great headroom.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2018 6:50 pm    

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=2779361#2779361

Not lightweight...has a cast al frame and a 96 oz. mag but a good speaker for steel and guitar. 4 ohm. Handles 350W RMS. Good price.

Darren Porter

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2018 10:09 pm    

Dustin Kleingartner wrote:

I would recommend the WGS ET65. I have bought a few of these and love all of them! Don't let the "British Invasion" thing scare you, these are great for country music. Crystal clear, great headroom.

I was going to post the exact same thing. The ET65 is an amazing speaker and is gaining a LOT of fans. Sounds absolutely fantastic with every amp and guitar I've ever used it with. I have one in two different cabinets now and it's my gigging speaker. I even record using impulse responses of cabinets loaded with ET65's. If you go to Reverb.com you can sometimes find b-stock models directly from WGS for a bit off full price compared to new stock.

The reason it is under their "British Invasion" category is that it is their take on the Celestion G12H65 speaker, which is a widely loved classic as well.

If you want even more headroom and/or higher wattage then the ET90 is similarly great!

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2018 5:13 am    

Weber 12F150
I like 25 watt for higher powered amps like a Twin.
50 watt for lower power like in a Deluxe reverb.

Michael Brebes

Northridge CA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2018 6:09 am    

Don't know if you can find a used one for $100, but I think an EVM 12L is about the best sounding 12" you could get for steel. If you could find a used one for that price it would probably be 8 ohms.
Dickerson MOTS/Dobro D32 Hawaiian/
Goldtone Paul Beard Reso

Mesa Boogie Studio Pre/Hafler 3000
RP1/MPX100

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2018 6:01 am    

Eminence Delta Pro 12a is a clone of the EVM12L

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2018 10:56 am    

As per Dave Mudgett, I have been happy enough with the Nashville 112 speaker which I bought from Peavey as a replacement part along with their op amp upgrades. This was the speaker that was originally in the first run of N112s. Dont know how it compares to the eminence version.. But my Peavey Bandit had a blue marvel and it sounded pretty good with steel guitar.

Some people think those peavey speakers are honky sounding but thats what makes them come through in a mix, and to me they sound fat andvwork great for blues guitar also. Sound balanced with bass and treble at noon and 800 Hz cut to taste.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2018 3:33 pm    

Chris - what amp (what is the output power) and how close to maximum clean volume do you run? You may be getting recommendations that are good or bad depending on the power handling requirements. Impedance is only one part of a speaker specification.

I replace or send out quite a few speakers for re-coning because players didn't understand basic power handling.

Output power, how loud you actually play, and whether or not you use distortion all make a difference. For example, a 50 watt speaker installed in a 50 watt amp that's run at medium volume should be fine - but add distortion of any kind (overdrive, distortion or fuzz) and you could be on the edge of blowing the speaker.

If even mild overdrive is used with an amp that's run at medium power I recommend a speaker with 2x the amp's output power. If the amp is run at close to maximum clean headroom with any distortion suggest at least 3x.

Amps run at medium volume are often only pushing a fraction of their output power, but at the top of the headroom should be at or close to full power. Add any distortion and the voice oil can overheat - and the speaker blows.

With multiple speakers the situation changes, and the combined power handling of ALL speakers are added together. The distortion factor still applies, though.

sorry for the long explanation, but power handling is critical to prevent blown speakers.

One other factor to consider is sensitivity (sometimes termed efficiency) in "db". At any amount of output power a speaker with a higher "db" rating will be louder than one with a lower rating. It usually takes 3db difference for one to be noticeably louder.

Last - all new speakers take time to "break in" (unless purchased "pre broken-in"). Many sound "tight" and constricted (or just bad) until they've been played for 20 hours or so.

Hope that wasn't TOO confusing!
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Derrick Unger

Newark Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2018 4:08 pm     Wgs

I see someone else mentioned WGS (Warehouse Guitar Speakers) out of Kentucky..I have several of these in some Fender amps I own and am very pleased with them for Pedal Steel work. I use 12" speakers in the fenders...IMHO
Music is good for the soul..playing it is even better! Gretsch6strLapSteel*PeaveyNashville400*HudsonSD-10*DigitechRP360*FenderChampion100*PeaveyKB300*Goodrich120*Behringerx1204*BehringerMini4*Mullen S10"Discovery"*Peavey Vegas400*Princeton112plus*SuperChampX2*SidekickReverb65*Rumble100*MarshallMG50DFX*Nashville112

Derrick Unger

Newark Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2018 4:08 pm     Wgs

I see someone else mentioned WGS (Warehouse Guitar Speakers) out of Kentucky..I have several of these in some Fender amps I own and am very pleased with them for Pedal Steel work. I use 12" speakers in the fenders...IMHO
Music is good for the soul..playing it is even better! Gretsch6strLapSteel*PeaveyNashville400*HudsonSD-10*DigitechRP360*FenderChampion100*PeaveyKB300*Goodrich120*Behringerx1204*BehringerMini4*Mullen S10"Discovery"*Peavey Vegas400*Princeton112plus*SuperChampX2*SidekickReverb65*Rumble100*MarshallMG50DFX*Nashville112

David Cook

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2019 7:41 pm     Anyone try the WGS 12 L speaker?

WGS 12L is suppose to be like the EV12( I don't know the exact name)

Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2020 5:38 am     Et65

Darren Porter wrote:
The ET65 is an amazing speaker and is gaining a LOT of fans. Sounds absolutely fantastic with every amp and guitar I've ever used it with.

Darren, I'm thinking about trying the ET65, and just wondering if you use it for pedal steel, 6-string, or both?

I currently have a tube amp with Eminence Red White and Blues speaker, and just wondering if the ET65 would make it a little more suitable for double duty (pedal steel and 6-string).

Thanks,
Tommy

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2020 12:55 pm    

Check out Jupiter Speakers - preferred by Tim at Milkman (i.e., what he has in his amp) - I've switched to the ceramic 12" and it sounds great...and prices are quite reasonable.

"Jupiter guitar speakers are the closest you can get to buying a vintage american speaker when it was new."

https://jupitercondenser.com/product-category/speakers/

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2020 12:55 pm    

duplicate post, sorry...

Last edited by Steve Lipsey on 17 Jan 2020 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dustin Kleingartner

Saint Paul MN, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2020 2:09 pm    

Hey Tommy,
I think the ET65 would be great for double duty! I've been using it as my main steel speaker for about 3 years now, and I love the way it sounds, and I get a lot of compliments from other players. I don't play 6 string out, but I use my ET65 at home for 6 string and I think it sounds great, it was made for guitar after all.

Tom Dillon

La Mesa, California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2020 3:51 pm    

A bit over your budget and a little extra effort, but I recently found a vintage JBL D120F for cheap and had it reconed to 4 ohms by GD Walker's recone guy (who did many of the D130 recones for the Stereo Steel amps). Total cost $185. It's going into in a Milkman Pedal Steel Mini. I was told it would be good for up to 150W in an open back cabinet.

Ken Morgan

Midland, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2020 4:17 pm    

Dustin Kleingartner wrote:

I use these exclusively when using 12s...huge bang for buck, impeccable tone.

Ken Morgan
Midland, TX

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2020 1:55 am    

Don't rule out the stock Fender Gold Label 50 watt Eminence. Very nice profile and not heavy on the mids.

I'm not sure which Eminence family this "Fender branded" speaker is derived from , I use them in most of my amps and cabs including a Nashville 112. They can lean a tad bright and have a very controllable mid range.

For a long period these were the speakers used in the HR Series and the RI Series of amps, including the early Blues Jrs. We have been listening to them for decades !

I never bought a new one but perhaps half a dozen USED , never had a problem , they are all still performing. Even the 2 that are still in my HR Deville that Wendell Cox ( Travis Tritt) used one night with all knobs on 10 ! Good God !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website