The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lollar Imperial Upgrade on Asher Electro Hawaiian Jr.
Ian

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2019 10:41 pm    

Hey Gang,

Thinking about getting the Lollar upgrade on my Hawaiian Jr. Love to hear your thoughts, experiences.

Thanks so much,

Ian

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2019 3:32 am     Re: Lollar Imperial Upgrade on Asher Electro Hawaiian Jr.

Ian wrote:
Hey Gang,

Thinking about getting the Lollar upgrade on my Hawaiian Jr. Love to hear your thoughts, experiences.

Thanks so much,

Ian

Well, I can't speak for that particular model pickup, but I have used Lollar pickups and rewinding for some years now and am very pleased with the results.

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2019 3:37 am    

I had one with the Imperial humbuckers, but my car was broken into on a business trip to San Jose last year and it was stolen out of my trunk. That sucked hugely, but I now have a really cool replacement - an Asher Electro-Hawaiian custom that was built in 2016, mint condition, with Lindy Fralin P-90 pickups. Bill calls it a Masterbuilt. I got a good deal, found it at a shop in Southern California.

But if I still had the Jr. with the Lollars that would have been just fine. The stock pickups are pretty decent, but the Lollars are a significant improvement.

You can really tell with a high quality amp. I have a few decent amps but nothing on the high end. A friend of mine has two Fat Jimmy amps made by Mike Pascale in Petaluma. These are used by Bob Weir, Tim Bluhm of Mother Hips and others. Mike’s sister business is Vintage Fender Amp Repair, and he really knows his stuff.

I plugged my Lollar equipped Jr. into my friend’s Fat Jimmy a couple years ago - and it’s like I was hearing the guitar for the first time. Amazing! With a quality amp you can really hear what the Lollars are all about.

Ian

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2019 7:06 pm    

Hey, thanks for the replies!

I just may need an Upgrade.

Cheers,

Ian

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2019 8:15 am    

I tend to not like humbucker pickups in a lap steel very much. I have an Asher EH-jr and decided to try some P-90’s in it. I bought a pair of Z-90 pickups from Scott Petersen of Harmonic Design (Bakersfield). They fit into the humbucker cavity very well. The guitar really came alive with these pickups. I like ‘em.

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2019 11:42 am    

You can play the Asher pretty and clean with the humbuckers if you like, but I tend to use them - the Junior that was stolen, or the newer Electro Hawaiian custom with the P-90s - as more along the lines of "Rock" lap steel.

Both Ashers have (or had) the belly bar installed for standup playing with a Bobby Poff strap so I can be sort of a poor man's Jerry Douglas. Or as Bruce Bouton has done for certain songs with Garth Brooks, or in the past Reba McEntire.

My 8 string Clinesmith Model B along with an MSA SuperSlide D-8 I bought from a Forum member awhile back I utilize more for my attempts at classic lap/non-pedal steel.

Francisco Castillo

Easter Island, Chile
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2019 6:30 pm    

Hi.
I'd say go for it.
And change the pots, wires, cap n jack so you don't have any weak point between that nice Lollar microphone and your amp.

Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2019 8:22 pm    

I've been using Lollar pickup coils in the horseshoe pickups I restore, and the horseshoe pickups I built for a long time now.
Good stuff for bakelites an frypans !