The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  "Aloha Oe" by me
Brad Richard

Chisago City, Minnesota
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2019 6:31 am    

Well, I've had my Rogue RLS-1gb lap steel for a bit over 3 months and decided to try to make a video. My playing sure isn't perfect, but I'm trying!

https://youtu.be/_VJfWJj2aTY

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2019 6:47 am    

Very nice Brad. You put me to shame. I bought a Rogue last week and like it a lot. It looks like you modified your original Rogue?? Did you?

Joe Elk

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2019 6:58 am    

Very Nice Me.
Joe Elk Central Ohio

Kirk Francis

Laupahoehoe
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2019 7:55 am     aloha oe

well done, brah!

Brad Richard

Chisago City, Minnesota
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2019 11:33 am    

Thanks for the comments, guys. As a newbie, I really appreciate it.
Bill- Yes, I modded it. I just didn't like the short scale so I used a georgeboards kit to get 22.5" (I made my own nut/bridge, but used the gb's as templates. That worked out great). I also put in a Bill Lawrence L290S pup I had in a different guitar. What do you think of the tone?

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2019 11:48 am    

I thought you did great on the modification and the playing. The tone sounded great. I don't know if I got a fluke Rogue, but mine sounds really nice and that is the way it was straight out of the box. I also like the 21" scale. All my other lap steels are 22.5" but I think for me at least, I like the 21" better.

Brad Richard

Chisago City, Minnesota
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2019 3:20 pm    

Yeah, I may have jumped the gun a bit. I just didn't like the feel of it. I didn't realize I could use heavier strings to get the slack out. On the other hand, I HAD to replace that fretboard. It's the worst one I've seen on any instrument! To me, it was unplayable.

Jim Schofield

Northern Territory, Australia
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2019 5:08 pm    

Nice Brad, I don't know these, I guess maybe lap steel "standards" but certainly recognise them when I hear them so that is another one to add to my list of tunes to learn when I get a lap steel up and running.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2019 7:41 am    

Really nice job, Brad! Even as a beginning steeler you were able to put some feeling into your performance which is what we all want to do. I suggest you now think about incorporating some basic palm blocking into your playing. This will help you better control when notes and chords ring out and sustain and when you shape the melody by controlling that sustain. Here's some info I include in a couple of my books ....

Brad Richard

Chisago City, Minnesota
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2019 10:39 am    

Thanks, Andy. I appreciate the info and I'l be studying it!
Actually, I was trying to palm block, but I've still got a ways to go. Smile

John Porcellino

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2019 7:32 am    

Andy Volk wrote:
Really nice job, Brad! Even as a beginning steeler you were able to put some feeling into your performance which is what we all want to do. I suggest you now think about incorporating some basic palm blocking into your playing. This will help you better control when notes and chords ring out and sustain and when you shape the melody by controlling that sustain. Here's some info I include in a couple of my books ....

Andy, thanks for posting that! I've been trying wrap my mind around palm muting since I started, and this is what I needed to get me going. What book is that from? I'd like to get a copy! (Now, how in the heck to you do harmonics!?!?) Very Happy

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2019 8:40 am    

John that info is Exploring C6th (lots on harmonics in there too) and also Exploring Open D. www.volkmediabooks.com.

Playing Harmonics well takes some practice but give it time and you'll get it down. It's just one more cool thing about playing lap steel. Smile

John Porcellino

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2019 1:00 pm    

Thank you Andy, I'm amazed at how friendly and open-minded people are here about us beginners. I'll check out your books!

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2019 1:16 pm    

I'm sure it's because they all remember how it was when they started.......not an easy path.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2019 1:26 pm    

John, the greatest players in the history of the instrument all started out trying to figure out how to conquer the simplest first steps on this beautiful but confounding instrument. I was helped by so many people when i started out who gave me advice, linked me with other players, freely gave out secrets that took years to learn, and once, even sent me a vintage Bigsby volume pedal free of charge that I was too ignorant to keep. I feel a strong obligation to freely share arrangements, ideas and generally give back. You'll find many, many players here that share this same view.

If you do a search, you'll likely find many of your questions have been answered here multiple times but please feel free to ask anything and folks will jump in to help you.