The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Carl Heatley
Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2018 2:23 pm    

Chris Robbins wrote:
This seems to shed bad light on one man operations and i have to say not all one man operations are this way I have bought more than one guitar from Fred Justice and could not have found a more honest and decent man to build me a guitar let alone the fact he builds great guitars.There are great one man builders and Fred Justice is one of them.If your looking for a custom built guitar you never need to worry about Fred

I think the same can be said for just about every builder out there.
Best advise is to deal directly and if possible visit the builder and see what they do.
Ask friends for advise on some you may be interested in or simply search their name here on the forum.
The list of very good & honest builders who are one or two man operations is too long to put here. Very Happy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Wade Blaker

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2018 6:06 pm     Carl Heatley

Had to file a claim with PayPal, was able to recover only $500 of the $1200 I sent to Carl. I will never send money again via Family and Friends to someone I don't know. Yep, should have known better but life is full of challenges. Lesson learned. Hope no one else gets caught up with this guy.

Aidan Lenihan

Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2018 2:41 am     Carl Heatley

On the list with Wade, Ill be reclaiming my money back soon from Paypal good & services. Lost only $100 in parts. I came out alright.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2018 10:17 am    

I have tried in vain to contact Carl. No luck. I've suspended his membership and added him to the "do not deal" list in the For Sale section.

Skip Ellis

Bradenton, Fl USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2018 7:20 am    

I guess I got lucky - right before it hit the fan, I sold him $300 worth of parts and got paid - even talked on the phone for awhile. My experience was positive but I guess everyone wasn't as fortunate.....too bad.

Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2019 5:40 pm    

he buy cheap tele copies in asia bulk, for around 30, 35 bucks a piece, outfits them with a B bender and resells them for 3-4 hundred dollars. He told me that. Probably still doing it.