The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Uni 12 copedant Here the problem, What's the answer please?
John Davis

Cambridge, U.K.
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2019 11:42 pm    

Being an e9th player I have got to grips with the back neck to a limited extent and have some basic chords up the neck.
Having put this 12 string Fessy together from a chart I thought would work (i have no theory) I find the 4 extra pedals are doing nothing like what the pedals on my D10 are doing although they are making some interesting combinations and I can see some possibilities if I was starting from scratch but, not wishing to throw away what I have so far is there a chart for rodding that will more closely follow a standard Emmons back neck set up on a 12 uni?
Thanks for any help.

Apologies if this is a dumb ??

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2019 6:00 am    

Almost every U12 copedent I have seen posted has all the basic C6 changes. Is your setup something yoh came up with, and different than this one That Jeff Newman used?

https://b0b.com/wp/?page_id=1505#e9b6

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2019 6:02 am    

Hi John - it would be helpful if you could describe what you've done so far. What is the "chart" of which you speak?

A 12-string uni with all the basic back-neck changes is quite feasible if you have enough raises on your changer.

Les Wright

Norfolk,England
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2019 6:24 am    

Hi John, with the E strings lowered the bottom 9 strings normally match the C6th tuning one fret down, strings 4 thru 12 corresponding to strings 2 thru 10. Again most uni copedants match pedals 5-8 of the Emmons setup. I found it awkward when I switched getting used to working from the bottom string rather than the top. If you get stuck give me a call. Les

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2019 6:26 am    

This discussion of E9/B6 and its relationship to the C6 neck should cover everything you need to know.
http://www.larrybell.org/id24.htm

If you set up to a conventional E9/B6 chart, even with some variations that do exist, then all or most of the back neck should be there on your guitar. If you went with some sort of different chart, all bets are off.

John Davis

Cambridge, U.K.
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2019 12:55 am    

Thanks to all for the input and apologies for my slow reply due to family health distractions. This is the chart I have rodded to as I thought it was how the Mullen I had was done as it came with a Mullen uni I used to own.I know it is not right as the Mullen was instantly playable for me even with my limited C6th or B6th knowledge.

John Davis

Cambridge, U.K.
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2019 1:38 am    

Jon Light,Thank you for the link that was very informative now all I need is a bespoke chart for an idiot that will not give up his "Day" set up E's on the left and used to a D on top where the back neck is concerned..... Smile

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2019 4:13 am    

I get terribly confused, myself. My brain is not quick with the half-step conversions from C6 to B6. Also, on the advice of the builder of my first U-12 in 1998 I altered my setup so that it does not conform to the standard. It allows for some good pedal combinations but it causes much confusion when trying to converse with the rest of the world on the subject of C6 or B6.

Good luck.

Fred

Amesbury, MA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2019 5:53 am    

You’re not showing your knee levers, but there should be one that lowers 4 and 8 to D#. That gives you your B6 tuning. When holding it your last four pedals are equivalent to 5 6 7 and 8 on C6.

On your pedal 5, string four would be tuned to E and string 8 to D WITH the E lower lever engaged.

Fred

One more thing. If your E to D# lever also lowers string 2 to C# you have your D on top equivalent.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2019 6:40 am    

John Davis wrote:
Jon Light,Thank you for the link that was very informative now all I need is a bespoke chart for an idiot that will not give up his "Day" set up E's on the left and used to a D on top where the back neck is concerned..... Smile

I'm also a Day player with E lowers on LKL. That is the reason I never went to a uni. I've toyed with having a pedal near the volume pedal that would lower the E's to D#, and use my right foot to put it in B6 mode. Probably wouldn't work very good.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2019 7:23 am    

I avoided the C6/B6 confusion by tuning my back neck to B6 right from the beginning. I already had a feeling I would go the uni road at some point.

This advice is clearly useless if you've played actual C6 man and boy.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2019 9:44 pm     U12 copendent Here the problem, What's the answer please

Jeff Newman's E9th/B6 is similar to your copendent laid out Day Setup. But 7th pedal moved to 4th pedal which he discusses in his lessons.
Here is a copy of his copendent with sweetened tuning added.

John Davis

Cambridge, U.K.
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2019 1:12 am    

Thanks to all that contributed to this topic, I believe I am sorted now Smile AND a special thanks to Larry Bell who went that extra mile for me, very much appreciated.JD

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2019 12:40 pm    

The Jeff Newman chart above,,probably the most "standard" uni tuning will give you pretty much Jimmy Days C6 configuration, minus pedal 4,,of course lowered a half step. Jimmy just used one knee lever (as far as I know) on C6. Jeff put the boowah pedal (pedal8) in the 4th position.

bob drawbaugh

scottsboro, al. usa
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2019 5:20 pm    

John Davis wrote:
Thanks to all that contributed to this topic, I believe I am sorted now Smile AND a special thanks to Larry Bell who went that extra mile for me, very much appreciated.JD

Glad Larry chimed in he's a great guy and I consider him one of the pioneers of the E9th universe tuning. His web site is full of information.