The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  once again, sorry, volume pedal first or delay?
Norbert Dengler

germany
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2019 11:59 am    

this might have been beaten to death, but anyhow, what's your opinion?

Justin Emmert

Greensboro, NC
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2019 12:05 pm    

Volume pedal first. Interested to hear other opinions..

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2019 12:08 pm    

Volume pedal before delay/reverb. I don't know of anyone who does it differently.

Drew Pierce

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2019 8:03 pm    

If there's an Izzy or Match Box, that first, then the VP, then FX, then amp. If the amp has an FX loop, I put FX there and go direct to amp from Izzy/MB/VP.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2019 1:35 am    

The volume pedal is part of the instrument. You wouldn't put anything between the fiddle and the bow.

The obvious exception is a matching device, which would be like the rosin.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2019 7:05 am    

I put my reverb/ delay in the effects loop of my amp. If it didn't have an effects loop, I would run it after the volume pedal so the volume pedal wouldn't cut off the tails or slap backs when backing the volume pedal down to decrease volume.

A good rule of thumb that I keep seeing is, time altering devices (delay, verb, etc...) should be right before the amp (or in the fx loop). Pedals that react to picking attack (distortion, envelope filter/auto-wah, etc...), before the volume pedal.

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2019 3:39 am    

Usually, I’d suggest what Richard says. These are tools, though, so it’s what you want them to do. Some Fuzz, OD, Auto-wah, etc. pedals sound really cool with the ability to change how hard you hit them ( after the VP) Generally I would think most people want to hear the tail on reverb or delay trail off in a natural way, so after VP. But experimentation might give you a whole new sound!

Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2019 8:31 am    

Nowadays (and for many years) I put the delay between the vol. pedal and the amp. This is when using the Stereo Steel rig or when I use a single, combo amp.

But,,, when I first started using a delay unit in the late 70s, I plugged it directly into the guitar jack using a small, double male plug, then ran to the vol. pedal, then to the amp. It was an Ibanez AD-80 which used two 9v batteries. This was for ease of fast set-up as we did so many package shows where you had 5 minutes to swap out the stage. I got many compliments on my sound though. At that time, very few were using delay. I actually cut at least three of Mr. Watson's albums with that delay plugged into the guitar including, "Sometimes I Get Lucky."

Chris "Tiny" O.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2019 9:14 am    

For their usual uses as a type of wash, reverb/delay after the volume pedal to hear the natural tail.

However, when doing certain delay effects like hard doubling or the dotted-eighth-note delay trick - see, e.g., this demo by Albert Lee, who was doing this at least 40-50 years ago - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Migwfx0wMMc - then if I don't want to hear the trails when I stop, I put a delay in front of the volume pedal so I can cut them off at will. I use these type of delay effects more for guitar, but also occasionally for steel. This is a good use case for two delays, one after volume pedal for a more subtle "delay wash", and one before the pedal for effects like this.

And as mva suggests, there are times that I prefer effects that most people prefer before volume pedal, like OD, distortion, and fuzz, after the volume pedal so I can control how hard I hit them with the volume pedal. For me, everything is context-dependent.