| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tommy’s Volume & Tone Control alternative
tom anderson

leawood, ks., usa
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2019 4:00 pm    

This is a volume tone control that clips on the leg of your guitar to replace using a volume pedal. I make two-one with a 250K pot for single coil pickups and one with a 500K pot for dual coil pickups. Ive added a Golden Age Treble bleed circuit ceramic capacitor to prevent treble drop off at higher volumes and a paper-in-oil tone capacitor for a vintage feel.
I got the idea for this after getting a Fender pedal steel with the volume/tone controls on the neck. All of a sudden I didn’t miss my foot volume pedal, and I was able to play with two feet. There are a lot of bad habits or impediments to one’s playing that the foot volume pedal can add. I didn’t want to drill holes in the body of my guitar so I came up with this:

It comes with a clip to mount on the leg of your guitar (I need the diameter of your guitar’s leg) or a Velcro strip to mount it on the end plate or deck.
Satisfaction is guaranteed with a 7 day return policy (just pay shipping and I refund the cost of the pedal) and a 1 year guarantee on wiring and parts. $100.00 plus $7.00 shipping. PayPal is OK.
I don’t have any of these made up so there will be a small delay while I get the parts. Steel players are so wedded to their volume pedals that I don’t know how much interest there is. I also may change the body color to a pearlized white for better visibility.
Billy Murdoch

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2019 1:54 am    

I cannot imagine a steel player discarding His volume pedal at all.A volume pedal is used continually when playing and can take many years to become expert at controlling the pedal properly.
There may be some interest in this device if used with a volume pedal as a way of remotely setting Your amp volume and tone.
Best regards
Billy
Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2019 7:38 am    

I wonder if it could be useful for those who are learning to use a volume pedal without constantly pumping it. It's a common problem. I used to punish mine sometimes.

Does the tone control have a "neutral" position where it has no effect on the tone? Is it true bypass?
tom anderson

leawood, ks., usa
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2019 11:11 am    

Over pumping your volume pedal is one of the problems. Also picking the string and then swelling the volume. Also coming off on the volume pedal to hide your mistakes. The tone control isn’t a true bypass, but turned all the way down it seems to be off. I could just make a volume only pedal. $90.00
b0b

Cloverdale, Northern California
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2019 12:05 pm    

Great idea! Pedal steel guitarists lost the volume and tone controls decades ago. I never quite understood that. Emmons and Sho~Bud had them. All lap and console steels still have them.

This is not a substitute for a volume pedal. I can see using it in addition to a VP to dial back the overall volume in certain situations. Perhaps that's a good discussion for the Electronics section of the forum (not here).

California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2019 6:22 pm    

What is the difference or advantage of this over a Matchbox?
Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2019 9:08 am    

Matchbox is a DI. I think the same company makes preamps too. Do they make a straight volume/tone control box? I have seen attenuators for twice the price as well as less than half.