The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Keyless or key head
Chris Reesor

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2019 6:47 pm    

I love my early (2000ish) Excel Superb SD12. It has 5 1/2" to the left of the nut with a 25.5 scale. The 33 1/4" x 11 1/4" body is actually the same size as most D10 guitars. The string anchor blocks behind the roller nut move vertically to tune, so string length there is negligible at 3/4" max. Hysteresis is inaudible, which was not the case with keyed guitars I've had.
I wouldn't mind having fingertip fine tuners like on some of Mitsuo's later models but definitely not a deal killer; once the strings are stretched in and warm they don't drift.
So you can put me down as a keyless fan. If I ever win a big lottery , Ross Shafer will be one of my first calls. He is building some of the most elegant and advanced steel guitars ever seen.

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2019 12:09 am    

I dunno, i think those beautiful steels of Greg's b0b's & Ross's look better then any keyed steel guitar i've seen. All that string wrapped around those sideways siting tuners are really nasty. As far as sustain, mine holds it's own against any of'em. I have been playing keyless for so long now, that a while back i sat in at a jam a friend of mine invited me to. Told me....nah you won't need your steel, they're be a couple other steels there just grab one. I never gave it another thought. Man, when i sat down behind that big heavy clumsy sho~bud i almost died right there. And i use to own one. It seemed massive, completely out of proportion and played nasty. So glad when it was over. Never again, one of my own keyless steels, or not playing.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2019 8:26 am    

I guess it's just a case of different strokes for different folks. Very Happy
Erv

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2019 11:30 am    

When I think of "boutique" steels,,,individually built guitars, Anapeg, Sierra, Kline, Whitney, Schild,,all keyless. Again call me,,,"Keyless to the core"

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2019 12:06 pm    

Years ago, I was in Bobbe Seymour's store in Nashville. He asked me, "What do you think of keyless steels"? I told him that I had only ever played one, and that it had something missing in the tonal range to my ears, but that it might have been psychological. Seymour said that I was right and that much of a pedal steel's musical overtones come from within the keyhead area. To demonstrate, he strummed his thumbpick across the strings behind the nut on his push pull.

Brian (BJ) Cole uses a modern keyless guitar, and he loves it. I think it's great that we all have such a choice these days.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Last edited by Ken Byng on 6 Feb 2019 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2019 1:20 pm    

For me it's a matter of physics and ergonomics. Being big & tall with long legs and big feet, keyless steel guitars are physically, too small and uncomfortable. I've only played one for a short while at a music store many yrs. ago. I've never played one in a live situation. As for the way they sound, I don't have enough experience with them personally to pass judgment. My guitars are also 2" taller than standard. I have the "Crawford Cluster" and an added C6 lever on my D-10s. Trying to make that work on a keyless would be way too compacted for me. For most folks, it's probably fine.

Like Erv said, it's also a matter of personal preference. I like the looks of the keyheads being there myself. I must say though, the keyless guitars shown in photos earlier in this post are very nice looking instruments.

Duane Reese

Post  Posted 9 Feb 2019 12:39 pm    

I'm sure Ned Steinberger had his reasons, but I've always wondered how it would have been if all of those headless guitars would have been made with some kind of clamp, like many (or all?) headless steels use, instead of needing proprietary doulbe-ball strings.. Confused

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 9 Feb 2019 12:44 pm    

Double ball strings?????? Every keyless I've EVER seen has clamp style tuning fingers.

Chris Reesor

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2019 3:20 pm    

Duane is referring to Steinberger basses and standard six strings, Sonny. I haven't seen or heard of any steels that use double ball end strings either.

Double ball end strings offer tool free string changes and a very simple, low mass head end. Can't really think of any other advantages ATM.

On the other hand, they definitely limit your choices in string types. Probably not too big a deal for bass, but more so for six string.

The basses are great instruments that have been well received by players, the six strings much less so, I believe.

I'm still kicking myself for allowing a nice Steinberger bass offered at $400 to slip by me a few years ago,

Okay, we now return to your regular program. Smile

Last edited by Chris Reesor on 9 Feb 2019 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Duane Reese

Post  Posted 9 Feb 2019 3:20 pm    

Sonny Jenkins wrote:
Double ball strings?????? Every keyless I've EVER seen has clamp style tuning fingers.

Steinberger doesn't make steels...

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2019 3:47 pm    

"We can give them the guitar. We'll make our money selling those double ball strings." Laughing

Seriously, it's a good thing that keyless steel guitars never went that route.

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 9 Feb 2019 4:31 pm    

oooppps,,,my bad,,,I assumed the thread was all referring to steel guitars.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2019 8:42 pm    

Sonny that stineberger string stretcher sure works nice be nice to have that on a Keyless pedal Steel or lap steel. I guess be cool to build a stineberger style lap. An clamp the strings on nut end. Iรขโ‚ฌโ„ขm pretty sure you can buy a aftermarket string clamping device for a Stineberger guitar an bass an use regular single ball strings.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2019 9:05 pm