The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MEGAN LOVELLS (larkin/poe) RICKENBACHER LAP belly brace info
Michael Deering

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2019 1:06 pm    

Has anyone figured out her design on the Rickenbacker lap steel metal belly brace for standup playing.?? Looks like the Ric is cradled on 3 sides. I would like to build or buy one.

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2019 1:22 pm    

Here is a picture of one. Not sure it is hers? Doesn't look too difficult to make.

Miles Lang

Venturaloha
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2019 2:04 pm    

How does it attach?

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2019 2:39 pm    

Michael Deering

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2019 3:15 pm    

I know there is a ledge the Ric rests on beneath the picture. I wonder if the brace is made out of sheet steel or aluminum ?

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2019 3:31 pm    

"....friend helped me build my lap steel holder out of welded aluminum" -- M Lovell

Michael Deering

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2019 12:28 pm    

On the pictures posted it looks like the Ric just slides into the metal brace and the shoulder strap holds the guitar into the belly brace. I assume there is some foam padding protecting the Rickenbacher. Any pointers from others that have made there own if ya had to do all over again??

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2019 1:10 pm    

Do you think styrofoam like used in insullation would work? It could be traced, bandsawed, sanded, covered, then attached with a couple of small pieces of double face tape. It would also be very light weight.

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2019 1:49 pm    

Bill, I don't think it would stand up to any kind of stage use. Megan's metal one looks pretty tattered.

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2019 1:56 pm    

You're probably right. Crying or Very sad

Peter Jacobs

Northern Virginia
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2019 3:24 pm    

I used a Fiberglas shell that was guitar shaped. It attached to the back of the steel with two thumbscrews (needed to drill 2 holes for threaded inserts - you probably don’t want to do that with an old Ric). The shell was filled with styrofoam to cushion the steel. Ted Smith of Melobar made it.

I played out with it for several years, until the Fiberglas around the end pin started cracking. That’s when I had my blue steel built..
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@splinterville6278/videos

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2019 5:23 pm    

It appears that "Panda" that's what she calls that Ric has a steel or aluminum frame that cradles the Ric. Any bolts would be the strap button and one "stud" *hard to tell* right where the wrap around ends by the tone knob just before the cable jack.

Note the metal cradle under the lower bout of the guitar following the shape of the Ric as a mold.

NASA close up Smile There might be other "studs" elsewhere on the other side on the upper bout holding the Ric in the cradle.

The use of duct tape along the edge that presses up against the waist might be something to keep the guitar from sliding off the clothes material as she dances around.

If she uses this cradle during recording, bet it augments the tone she gets for the added mass.

That black bar behind her to her right is a short boom stand she happened to be standing in front of during this image.

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2019 2:11 am    

This is off topic, but do any of you know what tuning she uses on her Ric?

Peter Jacobs

Northern Virginia
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2019 6:44 am    

I’m pretty sure she uses standard Dobro G tuning.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@splinterville6278/videos

Joe Breeden

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2019 11:06 am    

I made contact once, thinking facebook. I was told she uses a tube screamer also.

Jesse Pearson

San Diego , CA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2019 6:05 pm    

I really dig what Larkin Poe are doing, sounds pretty areal and groove-in to me. Megan used to use a 65 Fender Deluxe amp and she is definitely using a High G tuning like the Dobro guys do. She started with Jerry Douglas for inspiration at first on Dobro and moved on to Duane Allman, Derick Trucks and David Lindley for inspiration when she started doing the lap steel. I didn't realize you'd could get such a great distorted blues sound with a High G tuning. I know she said a family friend had a steel company and she drew out a template for him to fabricate her lap steel add on. It looks like it is indeed made out of aluminum, which would make sense. I wonder if the add on is screwed into the Bakelite?

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2019 8:39 pm     She’s just COOL

... and her playing has improved steadily. She used to rely on distortion all the time but not always now. Her vibrator has gotten loads better, she’s tasteful and, well, just pretty fucking cool. That’s probsbly what holds the Panda up!!!”
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2019 6:42 pm    

Caught them in Salina KS last Saturday while on a trip to Rocky Mountain NP for a short hiking vacation (still a ton of snow here!!!). I think we're all a bit biased, probably, because, well, how much modern music gets played with a Rick panda these days, but we were very impressed. Both of them are very talented, and there's a youtube clip of Rebecca playing Little Wing that is supremely annoying because she plays it so much better than I ever did and ends up singing it so well at the same time. Very talented group! My 11 year old daughter loved it (I introduced them to the family as a way to bridge my love of steel guitar with their insistence on pop music...I suppose they tire of Wagner and Hawaii Calls on road trips!). I kind of regret not trying to stay on later in case there was a meet and greet sort of situation as my daughter would have been pretty wowed. Maybe if they come back to KC! Kind of hoping it inspires her to a musical instrument....

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 21 Jun 2019 11:29 am    

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob3fY2mIeHA

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2019 1:18 pm     Re: She’s just COOL

Mark Helm wrote:
... Her vibrator has gotten loads better,”

Whoa! Whoa! Laughing