The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Why are they called Stage One guitars!?
Andy Henriksen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2019 1:13 pm    

I love my Stage One, but my band mates always make fun of the name, because it really sounds like a beginners' model, as though I should be expected to move on to the "next stage" before too long.

I realize it IS a beginners' guitar (albeit a great one), but does the name need to advertise that to everyone in the audience? It's just a bit too reminiscent of "First Act." Shocked

[Exclamation This is mostly just a facetious question - no offense intended to Doug or his amazing steel guitars!]

Last edited by Andy Henriksen on 7 Feb 2019 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2019 1:20 pm     Re: Why are they called Stage One guitars!?

Andy Henriksen wrote:
I love my Stage One, but my band mates always make fun of the name, becauase it really sounds like a beginners' model, as though I should be expected to move on to the "next stage" before too long.

I realize it IS a beginners' guitar (albeit a great one), but does the name need to advertise that to everyone in the audience? It's just a bit too reminiscent of "First Act." Shocked

[Exclamation This is mostly just a facetious question - no offense intended to Doug or his amazing steel guitars!]

Actually, I think you have a good point, unless the intent is to embarrass you into upgrading... ? Cool Whoa!

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2019 1:43 pm    

When Stage One stops working it falls off and you're on to Stage Two.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2019 1:48 pm    

Ian Rae wrote:
When Stage One stops working it falls off and you're on to Stage Two.

You mean it really is rocket science...?? LOL!

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2019 1:53 pm    

When they make fun of your Stage One, dump your volume pedal and hit them with an earful of Saturn 5s. That'll fix 'em.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2019 4:00 pm    

Well then can my buddies be wrong if they call my BMI a bad musical instrument? Maybe it's my playing that sucks. I have a Stage One and it's a great player and holds tuning well. It's easier to carry than my MSA D10 or my Mullen D10. I personally love it and feel comfortable taking it to the gigs. I have seen some raggedy instruments in the hands of great players and nobody sneered at them. Just my 2 cents.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2019 4:23 pm    

Maybe Doug was planning to build a whole bunch of prototypes and just happened to get it right the first time. Stage One is a great name for it, whatever the reason was.

Invite one of your bandmates to sit down behind your steel and try to play something on it. “Well, wudda ya know....it is a beginner guitar!”

Larry Carlson

My Computer
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2019 4:23 pm    

Cover the emblem with duct tape.
You're welcome.
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.

Chris Reesor

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2019 5:48 pm    

Some good chuckles on this thread. Wink

I like Fred's suggestion.

Either that, or tell them it is like an old Tele. Only what you really need; good sound, simple, light, rugged, reliable, no bling or BS.

Then let your fingers do the talking.
They are just jealous. Steel envy.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2019 7:18 pm    

Guitars... are like people, how good they are is more important than their names. Mr. Green

Greg Thompson

Taumarunui, New Zealand
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2019 7:24 pm    

Bruce could have named them a Zum Student Model, but i guess he thought Stage One sounded better???

Ken Boi

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2019 4:33 am    

Funny. I am a Stage One owner and never thought about any deep meaning behind this name until reading this thread. I just thought the name sounded good, and I was seeking a less costly guitar for my introduction to PSG. I guess the name does make sense now that I think of it in that way. I do feel it is a very good instrument at that stage in one's playing, and even beyond.

Jimmie Hudson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2019 5:44 am     Stage One

It means Number One on Stage.

Andy Henriksen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2019 6:00 am    

Ken Boi wrote:
Funny. I am a Stage One owner and never thought about any deep meaning behind this name until reading this thread. I just thought the name sounded good, and I was seeking a less costly guitar for my introduction to PSG. I guess the name does make sense now that I think of it in that way. I do feel it is a very good instrument at that stage in one's playing, and even beyond.

Yep, that's me too. I never questioned the name until my dumb "friends" pointed it out. Rolling Eyes

And, yes, of course, a name is just a name; it's what on the inside that counts.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2019 6:26 am    

Good thought Jimmie. The word A-one is an often used to describe a superior product or service. Why not Stage One?

Seriously, I expect the badge was to describe exactly what the instrument is...an entry level pedal steel guitar. Makes a lot of sense from a marketing standpoint.

I guess it's just that it turned out to be so much better that they are so praised, used on many stages all over, highly visible and getting this attention.

Maybe if it weren't such a well built and playable instrument there would be fewer questions concerning it's legacy. Cool

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2019 7:07 am    

I honestly didn't get any negative connotation from the name. In my mind it implied 'getting on-stage' but that's a fleeting impression and I've given it no thought until this thread popped up.

Now it's been voiced I can see the other side of it. Doug's other great product is, of course, the 'Encore' which is clearly another theatrical reference. I think both names work well in that context.

My Encore is a marvelous guitar - all I have left now are my Emmons and my Encore and they'll stay with me 'til the end.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2019 7:35 am    

Well, you have one guitar at home for practicing, and then this is the "Stage One"... and, WALA! Problem fixed! Smile

Andy Henriksen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2019 9:08 am    

Jim Cohen wrote:
Well, you have one guitar at home for practicing, and then this is the "Stage One"... and, WALA! Problem fixed! Smile

perfect!!! Laughing

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2019 9:37 am    

Jim Cohen wrote:

👍 Definitely the best comment so far.

Mathew Peluso

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2019 9:59 am    

My first steel was a Stage One and I loved it. I ended up selling it to buy an Encore after I had been spoiled by a Williams. I've since sold the Encore and I wish I never let the Stage One go. Despite not having an adjustable setup, I feel like the tone was significantly better than the Encore. They're both great guitars, especially for the price. I'll admit that I was a little self-conscious about the name on the front when I started playing out. But I wouldn't hesitate to have another Stage One as a more compact rig. Doug's a pleasure to work with too.

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2019 9:59 am    

Being in sales and marketing, I'd bet a starter guitar (or any entry-priced product for that matter) would sell better if it was called: The Super Pro, or Jedi Master, or Master, Excaliber, or Riff King, or Virtuoso, or. . .you get the drift,
As opposed to, The Discovery, or Stage One, The Scout, or any entry level name. Just look up the synonyms to 'entry level':
casual, dinky, little, skimpy, measly small, exiguous, negligible,petty, small-time, scanty and on and on.

I rep quite a few brands. Those that are branded as entry level, or starter models, or beginner models, always seem to be, unfortunately, handicapped with the "don't touch his ear phones!" taint. (from "There's something about Mary").
That's your Sales 101 tip of the day.

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2019 10:31 am    

My buddy is a keyboard player and he's got a Nord Stage 2. We like to argue over whether that means number 1 is THE BEST, or number 2 is more advanced.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2019 10:40 am    

According to some guys I play with, I play a Ground Fault Interruptor...

Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2019 8:31 am    

Brooks Montgomery wrote:
Being in sales and marketing, I'd bet a starter guitar (or any entry-priced product for that matter) would sell better if it was called: The Super Pro, or Jedi Master, or Master, Excaliber, or Riff King, or Virtuoso, or. . .you get the drift,
As opposed to, The Discovery, or Stage One, The Scout, or any entry level name. Just look up the synonyms to 'entry level':
casual, dinky, little, skimpy, measly small, exiguous, negligible,petty, small-time, scanty and on and on.

Makes sense. But then again, given the StageOne reputation here, I don't imagine Doug Earnest is dealing with a lack of sales.

Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2019 10:59 am    

In my opinion, any name that makes a psg sound less intimidating to a beginner is a plus. Laughing