The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jeff Newman Diamond Ring Picks???
Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2019 2:51 pm    

I agree with Bill Miller...I bought 3 sets from Jeff at a St Louis convention..after using Nat’ls and Dunlaps for 30+ Years these are the most uncomfortable picks I’ve tried...I have 3 sets if anyone wants them I’ll mail them to you..no charge...Larry Shocked

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2019 3:00 pm    

I'd be happy to take them off your hands Larry. I can send you my address in a PM.

Terry Winter

Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2019 3:08 pm    

Gee, I have the opposite experience of Larry, I have many picks here but have been using my JF picks for many many years now. Just fit perfect not to thin or thick for me. I have a spare set too. I'd be lost without mine.

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2019 3:09 pm    

The 1st reply I got is from Jerry Overstreet, if that changes the runner up Dom Hemmer.. Very Happy Larry

Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2019 1:26 pm    

So in an email today,
JEFFRAN PICK PRE-ORDER UPDATE**
It is with great disappointment, however we have canceled our current pick order due to continued failed timelines and due dates. Though We appreciate everyone's patience with us during this extremely aggravating situation, We will be refunding all pre-orders by 2/28, as we have been legally advised this is when we expect our refund from their financial institution.
With that being said, we have found a new, local supplier who has the ability to stamp our picks. We are currently in works with them to get the proper materials and we will advise when to expect these available.
We will NOT be taking Pre-orders for these.
Picks will be available on a in stock only basis.
All pre-order refunds will be issued automatically,
an email receipt confirmation will be issued promptly after refund issued.

Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2019 8:23 pm    

Hook -

I also received identical email.

Doubt I had anything to do with it, but I sent Melissa an email about a week ago regarding how she was really getting badmouthed on the Forum and how she owed her customers a public explanation.

Perhaps what we received is just that.

I really hope that the past issue with The Diamond Picks does not affect any other deliveries of Jeffran merchandise.

Ron

Hook Moore

Post  Posted 7 Feb 2019 3:20 am    

Lets hope Ron.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2019 12:27 pm    

I wonder how many players use these just because they have little diamond-shaped openings instead of round holes?

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2019 12:32 pm    

Donny,
I don't think it's because of the shape of the holes.
I think it's because they want to sound like Jeff Newman. Whoa!
Erv

Hook Moore

Post  Posted 7 Feb 2019 1:12 pm    

Neither for me Donny and Erv. I started using them because I liked the feel and they were easy to find. My only continued interest is because I fell for the pre- order..

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2019 3:18 pm    

For Donny and Erv: Really? Rolling Eyes

Further, as rough and hurtful as this community can sometimes be, it is also generally quick to forgive and forget. For the most part, really good people that one would love to have as neighbors.

I believe that, despite the debacle, if and when Melissa shows that she actually has some picks inventory on hand, many will still choose to order them from her. JMO.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2019 3:35 pm    

They are a good set of picks. I have been using them over 20 years for sure. I am glad I have a extra pair. My original pair have the outside edge on one side worn down somewhat. Still doing their job. I could not imagine how many songs and shows they played.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2019 6:30 am    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
For Donny and Erv: Really? Rolling Eyes

Further, as rough and hurtful as this community can sometimes be, it is also generally quick to forgive and forget. For the most part, really good people that one would love to have as neighbors.

I believe that, despite the debacle, if and when Melissa shows that she actually has some picks inventory on hand, many will still choose to order them from her. JMO.

Well, yes Jerry...really. Players are sometimes wont to choose things that set them apart or identify them in some way. Whether it's picks with diamond holes, bars with birthstones, or guitars with special inlays, no one can deny that vanity plays a part in the things we do and use. I tried a couple of Jeffs picks long ago, but it seemed to me that the sharp-cornered diamonds made the picks weaker, and this tended to create "corners" when I tried to form them. (Note Larry's photos above.) As to the availability or unavailability of the picks, it matters not to me, so "whatever floats your boat", so to speak. I use picks that are used very rarely by other players, and are no longer made, but I had the presence of mind to buy a lot of them when I started using them. But if that were not the case, I'd learn to make-do with something else.

I think that a bigger issue here is that players are commenting on how the situation affects Jeff's reputation. As for me, I think Jeff should be remembered for his personality and immense teaching legacy, and not whether or not his picks can still be had. I'm not surprised that his family doesn't have the same enthusiasm and dedication in the business that Jeff had, but that's probably true for a lot of us. After all, we steel players are a rare breed in the grand scheme of things.

This whole thread is sort of a tempest in a teapot.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2019 8:46 am    

The reason I prefer JF picks (BJ is even better)has nothing to do with the Diamond holes. The band has some bends in it that make it way more comfortable than Nationals (and others). I've tried to duplicate those bends in Nationals, but have no luck. I played Nationals for many years, and they always irritated and caused the finger to bleed at the top of the fingernail. I could never get them bent right. In the couple of decades that I have been using Newman picks, I have never had a problem. And the cracks that happen between the holes and the edge of the band don't happen any more often than Nationals.

Pick choice is a very individual thing. When Donny says "whatever floats your boat", he is right on.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2019 1:38 pm    

Donny Hinson wrote:
I wonder how many players use these just because they have little diamond-shaped openings instead of round holes?

Well, I think that's just groundless speculation on your part unless someone has actually told you they bought them for that reason. Otherwise, how could you know?

The thread may seem like a teapot tempest to you, but I doubt it's so for the many who have seen no return on their investment. Some of these guys have paid for a half dozen or more pick sets in advance. I don't blame them at all for voicing their displeasure.

Still, it's taken up a lot of space and people's time and I hope to see the action that Hook posted about takes place and everybody gets the bad taste out of their mouths.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2019 5:32 pm    

Same as Richard here. They fit good and are comfortable. I like them also for their gauge thickness and the way they follow the tip of my fingers. I am somewhat of a aggressive picker. Hard to explain but they will sure make a set of strings sing!!! As far as the diamond holes I never payed much attention to them until it was pointed out to me. I sure would miss them if I did not have them.