The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Roland Octa Capture Output Question
Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2019 4:26 pm    

I'm very new to DAW based recording. I really like the work flow in the analog realm.

Can the 8 analog outs on the Roland be assigned as direct output of the first 8 tracks in Studio One 3?

It appears that the OC has the outs set up in pairs. Is there a work-around? I ask because: I'd like to use a 16 channel, 4-buss board in two halves...oldschool. 8 channels in and then direct out to 8 channels for mix and monitor.

Thanks for any advice. I am learning to use the S1-3, but it's still pretty steep for me.
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35

mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2019 4:51 pm    

Hi Rick,

Not that familiar with the Roland Unit but after taking a quick look at the specs it seems to me that you should be able to assign the tracks the way that you want them. I cannot tell if the outs are really set up in pairs. Since a lot of instruments are now recorded in stereo it could be the reason why, but there isn't any reason why you could use each input as a mono source and return.

You may want to reach out to Tony Prior; he has a long history with Pro Tools and has worked with more interfaces than I have and could probably be a big help to you.

Hope this helps.

Rittenberry Laquer D10, Rittenberry Prestige SD10, Revelation Preamp,Revelation Octal Preamp,Lexicon PCM 92 Reverb, Furlong Cabinet

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2019 3:12 am    

I used to have an Octacapture. You should be able to separate the pairs into individual tracks. I've used mine in Sonar and Studio One 3 Pro.

I don't recall exactly how its setup anymore. Its been a couple of years since I sold the Octacapture.

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2019 5:11 pm    

Thanks, guys. I'm still searching. I have now found all the places to look within the software, but I have no clue as to what to do to effect the changes I need.

I can honestly say it's been decades since I've felt so ignorant and helpless. As much as I know, I know so little about interfaces and DAWs that I might as well be an actual caveman.

I should just buy a HD recorder and forget the computer. I'm not 48, I'm 200 years old! Laughing Muttering
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35