The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Who is playing Greensleeves here?
Bas Kapitein

Holland
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2019 5:08 am    

I was cleaning up my iTunes library and I found this version of Greensleeves. iTunes gave no name for the artist and the tune was spelled “greenleaves”

I must have got it somewhere but I do not remember it and I have no clue who is playing it.
But I like to know, If you can play this well and do so much credit to the Big E’s original than you must be a master yourself and probably have more tracks I can appreciate.
https://soundcloud.com/user-259863445/greenleaves

Bill Sutton

Post  Posted 29 Jan 2019 6:25 am    

Buddy Emmons.

Gary Spaeth

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2019 7:07 am    

wow when did he redo that. here's the version i'm familiar with.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3Oui1yB7jw

Bill Sutton

Post  Posted 29 Jan 2019 7:15 am    

Im not 100% sure that its Buddy...But it sure sounds like him.

Junior Knight

Eustace Texas..paddle faster..I hear Banjos...
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2019 3:31 pm    

I'm almost sure its not Buddie..

Jagwire Strings
Facebook/ Junior Knight, Steel Guitar

john buffington

Owasso OK - USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2019 3:45 pm    

After listening to the "Black Album" version I agree with Junior to my ear its not Buddy - but it is a fine version of someone else.

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2019 4:53 pm    

Gary Spaeth wrote:
wow when did he redo that. here's the version i'm familiar with.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3Oui1yB7jw

Buddy recorded it at least twice:

The "Black Album" and previously with the Texas Troubadors. The TT version was released on a Bear Family CD a few years ago, if not previously.

https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B001DETFC6/ref=acr_dpproductdetail_text?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

I don't have that CD, so I'm not sure what the liner notes say about the recording. It may be that the TT version is in fact Buddy without the Troubadours, but it definitely does not match the Black Album version.

At any rate, this unknown version doesn't match either of those versions.

Herby Wallace recorded the song a long time ago--I think on an "instructional" type album. Never heard it.

Last edited by Mitch Drumm on 29 Jan 2019 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2019 5:08 pm    

Here is Buddy's Texas Troubadour version:

https://www.soundhound.com/?t=100068101699464024

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2019 5:32 pm    

I don't know who it is ....I don't think it's Buddy but it does sound like the tabbed version of Buddy's rendition that's in Scotty's Anthology instruction course....nearly lick for lick.

I would venture a guess that someone has recorded this from the tab from Scotty's Anthology book. Who? I dunno, but I don't know of any major artist that would try to copy Buddy Emmons' arrangement. They would likely make it their own.

Last edited by Jerry Overstreet on 30 Jan 2019 5:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2019 6:03 pm    

Not sure who it is, but would make a "Glass Eye Cry" Smile Smile Smile Smile

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2019 11:58 am    

Very very nice whoever it is - the classical guitar is a nice touch.

Franklin

Post  Posted 31 Jan 2019 10:33 am    

The Tone, Volume Pedal, and Vibrato do not add up to Buddy's level of emotional expertise...To me Buddy was always easy to pick out because of those nuances no matter if he was just padding.
Paul

Bas Kapitein

Holland
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2019 2:42 pm    

Thank you all for reacting to my question. It sums up all the reasons I had for starting this thread.
I am simply curios who this capable player is. I agree the acoustic guitar instead of the piano is a nice touch.
I always had a soft spot for the song from the moment Buddy put the tab in Guitar Player Magazine and I discovered the black album. However I could never play it as well as this player.

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2019 3:39 pm    

I can state unequivocally with 100% certainty that this is not Buddy Emmons 😉

Alas, it’s just me. But to even be considered that it might be The Master himself is tremendous compliment. I do however agree with some that it pales in a direct comparison. Something would be terribly wrong somehow if it didn’t.

I remember learning this years ago by using a combination of the tab in Winnie Winston’s book, together with some fairly close listening. With the passing of the years I never really consciously considered how close my version of it might have been to the “Black Album” version. When I was called upon to play this in a Christmas show I was involved in a few years ago, I just went with what I knew. It just worked so well to me I didn’t see how I could possibly improve upon it.

The nice gut-string guitar work was done by Kenny Penny, who was Jerry Reed’s long-time right-hand man. The recording was included on album we recorded to sell at the Christmas shows.

Thanks so much for the kind words Bas and everyone!

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com

Franklin

Post  Posted 1 Feb 2019 4:22 pm    

Tommy,
I hope you understand that my point is this...Every night I play "Look At Us", out of total respect for John, I always play his parts...Here's the reality, my emotional elements Vibrato, VP, Pedal squeezes, etc pales in comparison to John's whenever I play his arrangement....And it should, those are the most important nuances for each player to master. When they do master them and create memorable arrangements its their soul that becomes otherworldly.....

That was the point I was trying to make to those reading the thread who thought it might be Buddy. There is only one Buddy, Lloyd, Hal, Weldon, & Tommy Detamore...I really love hearing you play your arrangements on those Texas artists sessions....I actually downloaded as many as I could just to hear you, Jim L, and Randy do your thing...Awesome playing! Please say hello to Kenny...
Hope to see you in Dallas...
PF

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2019 6:34 pm    

I understand totally Paul! Your points are so well put and appreciated. Thank you!

Like you say, I also try to copy sometimes as a tribute to the genius of the creator. It’s one thing to be able to play something, but to come up with it in the first place is the part that just knocks me out. To the point that it’s almost blasphemous to try to do it any other way! Smile

Wow thanks so much for listening! I had no idea. There are so many great players down here as you know, many of whom are sadly no longer with us.

Unfortunately I don’t see Kenny so much these days, but if I do I will surely pass your hello along. Hope to see you in Dallas too! Please give my best to your folks. I will never forget the kindness and hospitality they showed me many moons ago.

Bas Kapitein

Holland
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2019 3:16 am    

Tommy of course! Many years ago Johan Jansen, our Dutch steel hero asked me my opinion of Tommy Detamore.
I admitted that I did not know him. I vaguely remember that he mailed me a track to educate me.
So years later his lesson landed, thanks Johan, my compliments to Tommy!

As for the discussion between Paul and Tommy; There is a show running on Dutch television where the icons of Duch golden age painting are “copied” just for the full understanding and appreciation of the originals by Rembrandt, Vermeer etc. Modern day technology is used to understand the hand of the master in every stroke of his paintbrush. Not only to make a perfect copy but to appreciate more of the master. Fast forward through this clip (sorry, most is in Dutch, but there is some English) and the last part shows that the comparison of copy and original is in fact a celebration of the original
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By0YkMTW4WY

And Paul, I agree when you say “To me Buddy was always easy to pick out” .
There is another master I have no trouble picking out. When you know his more recent work you will recognize his style and the later developing of it in this 45 year old recording.

https://soundcloud.com/user-259863445/dottiewest3

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2019 5:26 am    

Thank you Bas! And Johan as well! I have been a fan of his for a long time. Hope to get to meet y’all someday!

What a fantastic video! I wish I could understand the language, but even so it is readily apparent how extremely well-done the program is. And what a great analogy to what we are talking about here! Thanks for sharing that!

My oh my, the Dottie West clip is an amazing window into the genius of Paul. Even at a young age, it is obvious that this young man would be going places! Wondering if it might be Kenny Penny on guitar? I know he played with Dottie but I’m not sure when.