The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone Know the Latest with Tribotone?
Matthew Walton

Fort Worth, Texas
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2019 9:50 am    

Just curious if anyone has heard any news about Tribotone. I came across this thread after a quick search, but don't know anything else. I love my size D Tribotone, and would kind of like to own another one.

1981 MSA "The Universal" 9/5 | 2009 MSA S-12 SuperSlide | Peavey Nashville 112

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2019 10:03 am    

Unfortunately I am given to understand that Eric Ebner has ceased manufacturing the Tribotone bar.

However all is not lost - Basil Henriques has been making polymer bars for the last 2 years or so and his Ezzee~slide Tone Bar is a top quality bar that he produces in different sizes. He has been ill recently, but he has a page on Facebook where you can order a bar from him.

Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Russ Blake

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2019 1:37 pm    

Todd Clinesmith also makes top quality polymer bars at very reasonable prices.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=319171

Guy Cundell

More idle ramblings from South Australia
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2019 4:03 am    

I have recently seen a message on the forum from Eric saying he was getting Tribotone going again.

Harry Dove

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2019 7:18 pm    

What is the point? Do they have a different sound, or what?

Matthew Walton

Fort Worth, Texas
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2019 1:56 pm    

Guy, that's good to hear!

Harry: The Tribotone plastic (I assume it's the same thermoplastic) has several advantages over metal bars. There tends to be less noise from the wound strings when sliding; they don't immediately freeze your fingers off when playing in a cold environment; your grip tends to be a lot better. Probably one or two other advantages I'm forgetting at the moment.

Another thing I really like about Tribotones in particular is that the brass in inset with the plastic at a nice inner chamfer. This makes it really easy to grab the end for backwards slants. The Clinesmith may be just as good in this regard; I'd have to compare in person to be for sure though.

1981 MSA "The Universal" 9/5 | 2009 MSA S-12 SuperSlide | Peavey Nashville 112

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2019 11:12 pm    

Harry Dove wrote:
What is the point? Do they have a different sound, or what?

The Tribotone bars are different from Todd's bars. They are not a straight polymer. He has his own unique process. One interesting thing about the Tribotone is that it can look worn and scratched but still be absolutely smooth. I hope Eric starts up again. I would like to have another one for my pedalsteel.

With that I really like my Clinesmith bar also. Haven't tried Basil's yet.

Harry Dove

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2019 2:54 pm    

Thanks for the info guys. I've never tried one or even seen one for that matter.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2019 7:44 pm    

Tribotones are all I've used for the last several years. I like them being available in different colors, I have a white one for my white guitars and a red one for my red guitars, and I had a blue one for my blue guitars until I sold them, then I sold the bar too. It seems to me like they sustain better than stainless or chrome bars and they are definitely slicker, but still easy to hold onto. Here's my white one and my matching MSA Studio Pro.

MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.