The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A shout out to Fessenden and Giles...
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2017 11:59 am    

Probably a dozen or more years back, I commissioned Jerry Fessenden and Mark Giles to build a D-10 8/8, maple/rosewood cabinet and necks. Polished knee levers. Make it look like a mid-60s Sho~Bud, I told them.

It arrived physically beautiful and played like a dream, but for some reason I didn't play it out all that much... the True Tones in it didn't make it for me... and with other guitars and being busy gigging, I didn't bother to change them out. Instead, in a multi-instrument trade deal, it went to my friend Scott Martin who, naturally, fell for it instantly. He soon swapped out the TTs for GeorgeL's and the horn came to life. Of course I had trader's remorse right on schedule, but it was now his guitar. I did ask for first refusal should he ever part with it and he agreed.

So years pass and Scott contacts me three weeks ago to ask if I still wanted to get the Fessy back, because he too plays his Infinity all the time and wants to thin the steel herd. Making a long story short, another multi-instrument trade took place. I did some minor re-rodding, knee lever swapping, and action tweaking and once again the horn is playing smoothly and sweetly.

I think it's the best of the four Fessenden guitars I've owned, and one of the most elegant and traditional cabinets Mark Giles created. It now has an E-66 in the E9 neck and a 10-1 in the C6 position. I'm planning on soon trying a pair of Telonics 409s as well, but for now the GeorgeLs more than suffice.

Notice that the skull and horns on the longhorn logo inlay are three separate pieces of pearl. Love that! Smile

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2017 2:32 pm    

Gorgeous Herb, and great decision to get it back mate :-}
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 13 Feb 2017 2:35 pm    

Awesome horn Herb!

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2017 2:46 pm    

Very nice, Herb. I've always had a soft spot for steels in that 2-tone color combo...

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2017 5:53 pm    

Herb, you always sound great no matter what you play, but I think the finest tone I ever heard you with was in St. Louis a while back on this guitar...just saying... Smile

Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2017 5:56 pm    

I remember that gorgeous horn!

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2017 2:23 am    

Geez!How beautiful,Scott Martin from ElPaso?
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2017 2:35 am    

Beautiful...

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2017 6:29 am    

Stu Schulman wrote:
Geez!How beautiful,Scott Martin from ElPaso?

Yeah, but he's been living in Marble Falls/Spicewood for over a decade. One cool dude and a good pal.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 15 Feb 2017 1:24 am    

Herb,Tell Scott hello for me .Years ago I played in Anthony Texas and hung out with Scott,we both had 56'fenders,His belonged to that kid from Lubbock!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 15 Feb 2017 1:25 am    

Herb,Tell Scott hello for me .Years ago I played in Anthony Texas and hung out with Scott,we both had 56'fenders,His belonged to that kid from Lubbock!

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2017 9:22 am    

Herb, that is indeed a beautiful steel ! Will you be playing it in Dallas at the show ?
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Storm Rosson

Silver City, NM. USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2017 10:36 am    

Holy crap that's a beaut. I know Scott from years ago when he played with the "Moonpie Dance Band" they worked Ruidoso a lot back then.Scott's a great guy and an old friend maybe he'll catch this post as I would sure enjoy reconnecting with him.Stu you weren't gigging at the Anthony Gap Saloon by any chance?..Stormy Mr. Green

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2017 11:10 am    

This may be the day AFTER Valentine's, but I think I am IN LOVE!!! I always thought the Rosewood/Maple Sho-Buds were the prettiest, which often had me lusting for guitars that are not considered the finest of breed - seems there were a lot of Crossovers in that color combo. I think I know what I will order if I ever get a custom cab made for me. Very nice, Herb!

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2017 1:59 pm    

Larry, I think I'm gonna play the Fessy at the TSGJ. I'm using a set of rods/legs 2" short of standard and the guitar actually fits me better than my usual set-up of 1.5" short of standard (which is 26" floor to endplate for most guitar brands).

I'm still using my Infinity on all my pedal steel gigs, though on special events I'll integrate the Fessy into the mix. And generally for a fly date, I often take either an S-10 in E9 or C6 depending on gig, and those would be Emmons guitars. Like I did in Phoenix the last couple of years.

I'd have to check with Jerry, but I think I ordered the first lacquer cabinet Fessy, back in 1995. It was a D-10 maple/rosewood cabinet with metal necks, and the cabinet was built by the late (and great) Dick Miller, who later went on to create the beautiful Bethel guitar. The front apron was an outrageous piece of rosewood. Again, I parted with it by mistake and my friend Wayne Franco got it from me. It was one of the best sounding guitars I had back in those days, and it too had GeorgeL E-66s.

Here's that guitar...

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2017 2:37 pm    

Douglas Schuch wrote:
This may be the day AFTER Valentine's, but I think I am IN LOVE!!! I always thought the Rosewood/Maple Sho-Buds were the prettiest, which often had me lusting for guitars that are not considered the finest of breed - seems there were a lot of Crossovers in that color combo. I think I know what I will order if I ever get a custom cab made for me. Very nice, Herb!

I agree 100 % !! That combination is beautiful ! Look forward to seeing it in person ! Smile
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2017 5:16 pm    

Nice horns Herb... the guitars and the cool inlay. Now get that bassboat outta' the carport and go set the hook !!! Mine is snowed-in for at least another month... one of us might as well go get 'em so I guess it's you man!!

Hope you're well.

Chris "Tiny" O.

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2017 3:04 am    

Wow those bodies look beautiful!

Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2017 4:51 am    

Beautiful guitar, Herb. I always thought the Shobud Rosewood/maple combination was one of the most striking and classiest looks I ever saw on a steel.

Scott Martin

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2019 9:51 am    

Hey Herb,

Are you ready to trade that Fess back. I think it misses me and I need a Montana rig.

Hi Stu and Hi Stormy!! Where have you guys been?

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2019 10:03 am    

Scott... like I said last Sunday, bubba! Straight trade back: the Fessy for the F-5. The Fessy now has Telonics 409 pickups and the improvement is an added bonus! C'mon... you're killin' me on this deal!! Laughing

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2019 12:25 pm    

Man! is that perty!

Andy Gill

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2019 6:15 am    

Love this guitar!!

Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2019 11:37 am    

I drew out that longhorn for Jerry BTW.
Another great thing about the Fesseys - the tone!

Mike DiAlesandro

Kent, Ohio
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2022 2:32 pm     Where is it now?

Herb - do you still have this Fessy... 👀