The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Amp with phantom power and a boost pedal?
Joe Burke

Toronto, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2019 4:57 pm    

I want to play my tricone into an acoustic amplifier. But I would also like to bost my volume when i take a solo. I use an Audio-Technica Pro 35 that clips on nicely to the guitar. It needs phantom power. Has anyone come across an amp that has phantom power and a volume boost?

My solution so far is to plug the mic into an interface with phantom power (I have a Tube MP). From there into my volume boost pedal (micro amp). And finally into the amp (I’m renting a Fishman loud box mine).

Any suggestions for a simpler path?

Thanks!

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2019 8:46 am    

Most all Acoustic Instrument amps have a channel for an Instrument and a channel for a Microphone.
Most of us use a volume pedal for a "Boost", but virtually any boost pedal would work.
I have used Marshall, Peavey, and Fishman, Acoustic Instrument Amps over the years.
Beside the Mic input channel, the main feature compared to regular guitar amps is that they have a built in Horn of some sort.

I notice they often have a "mute footswitch", to instantly shut down Feedback, but not a Boost footswitch (which could possibly cause feedback).

I presumed they all have Phantom Power for the Mic channel.
This is from the Fishman Loudbox spec info:
- 24V phantom power (for condenser mics):

Here is the info from the Marshall AS50D that I had for a while:
Marshall's AS50D is a 50-watt, 2 x 8" acoustic guitar combo amp with 2 channels, including a phantom-powered microphone channel. It features a redesigned tweeter, digital chorus and reverb, and an anti-feedback notch filter. Each channel sports its own volume, EQ, FX loop, and D.I. output. Master volume, line out and RCA inputs round things out nicely.

Joe Burke

Toronto, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2019 6:44 pm    

Thanks Pete! I’m getting closer to figuring it out.