The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  what kind of tuner to use and tool kit?
Steve Hudson

weymouth Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2019 3:58 pm    

hello all, just bought a carter starter 4x3 should be in this week, what kind of tuner do i need /do you recommend, and what kind of tools, i have ordered some tuner wrenches but what else should i be looking at for my first?

Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2019 5:01 pm    

I wouldn’t be without a string winder and a string cutter of some kind. All kinds of chromatic tuners out there, but I’m partial to the Peterson Stroboflip...even a clip on tuner or phone app will get you by.

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2019 2:10 am    

I use one of those Boss chromatic tuners - does just fine. One thing I'd highly recommend is an electric speed winder (Mine is an Ernie Ball. It made my life much easier when I changed my strings. Other than that, I had everything else I may want to use laying around the house - wire snippers, tiny screw drivers for raising & lowering pickups, needle nose pliers etc.

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2019 3:08 am    

I use a planet waves string winder/cutter. I've actually had better luck cutting strings with it than using an actual set of wire cutters. its also nice having both capabilities in one tool.

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2019 3:09 am    

I use a planet waves string winder/cutter. I've actually had better luck cutting strings with it than using an actual set of wire cutters. its also nice having both capabilities in one tool.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2019 6:24 am    

Download the owners manual and follow it. Get a few lessons from a experienced steel player and ask for help with set up and tuning.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2019 7:58 am    

That picture in your avatar is the first thing. 🍺🍻

I carry all the hex keys I might need, open end wrenches that fit any nuts in the guitar, string winder/cutter, screw drivers, and anything I would need to do a quick repair on a gig. That has happened more than I would have liked.

Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2019 4:11 am    

If you want a manual peg winder that will last forever check this shameless self promotion out.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=328841&highlight=delrin+brass+peg+winder

Battery operated winders have let me down when I needed them the most, changing a broken string during a set at a gig. Like any battery operated device the battery charge slowly decays over time.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2019 4:25 am    

Tuning wrenches and a good pair of wire cutters,a very small adjustable wrench and Jim Pitman's string winder which I have found to be the best one ever in the entire history of string winders.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Last edited by Stu Schulman on 24 Jan 2019 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2019 9:38 am     Re: what kind of tuner to use and tool kit?

Steve Hudson wrote:
hello all, just bought a carter starter 4x3 should be in this week, what kind of tuner do i need /do you recommend, and what kind of tools, i have ordered some tuner wrenches but what else should i be looking at for my first?

Steve,
I’ve owned a couple Carter Starters (they are decent steels) but how’d you lose a knee? I’ve never seen one with only three knees.
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Steve Hudson

weymouth Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2019 3:11 pm     Re: what kind of tuner to use and tool kit?

Patrick Huey wrote:
Steve Hudson wrote:

Steve,
I’ve owned a couple Carter Starters (they are decent steels) but how’d you lose a knee? I’ve never seen one with only three knees.

4 knees 3 pedals