The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho Bud vs. Mullen
Charles Caskey

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2019 2:35 pm    

Does anyone here play both of these kinds of guitars routinely? The reason I am asking is that I have a Mullen Discovery and a Sho Bud 6139 as my main two guitars. The Mullen is a much snappier instrument than the Sho Bud to me, since it seems to take less lever or foot motion to achieve the same tone changes. In general I find the Mullen to be a bit easier to play in tune (less cabinet drop maybe?) and generally more reliable/sturdy, but I love the tone and mystique of the Sho Bud.

I've only been playing a few years, so I don't have a ton of experience with different guitars. I was curious, though, given what I perceive to be a fairly dramatic difference between the guitars, do y'all tend to settle on one style of guitar or the other? On one hand it's nice to have the different tones, but I sometimes wonder if switching between them hinders my playing since they feel pretty different.

Sorry if this is a well-trodden topic. Anything you might want to add is very welcome!

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2019 3:11 pm    

Consider yourself lucky that you have 2 guitars with different feel and sound so when you're wondering if the grass is greener, you can immediately check for yourself.

The great thing about your situation is that you don't have to choose...long as you're able to keep both instruments. Just enjoy each for what it is. No need to cull one for the other. Very Happy JMO.

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2019 7:45 pm    

+1 on what Jerry said! I have an orig. issue LDG and 2 Emmons,, and I switch them out about once a week. It takes a few songs to get the feel of the newest one in the rotation, but it insures that I won't sell any of them! Smile. Each one has something that the others DON'T have. I have a new Mullen G2 that should be showing up here in a few weeks, and can't wait to get that one in the rotation, too!
Congratulations on having more than one great guitar!

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2019 8:18 pm    

I own them both. I have a Mullen Discovery and a Sho Bud Super Pro D10. My primary guitar I play out is the "Bud". The Mullen does pedal a little easier. It has a tone of it's own, but, I still prefer the tone of my "Bud". Spoiled I guess. Playing "Buds" for over 35 years now..

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2019 2:58 am    

its a personal preference, not a difference. I own two Emmons Steels , an LII and a PP. I rotate them based on my mood at the time. They are totally different but yet both the same ! It's not one VS the other it's ONE PLUS the other.

Your two Steels, enjoy them don't, compare them.

Its like asking me which of my Telecasters is the best ,

I point over in the direction of ALL OF THEM and say

"that one" Laughing

The beauty about nice Instruments is that each of them draws a specif emotion which may be different from the other. We may play different. Thats a good thing !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Harold Dye

Cullman, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2019 7:18 am    

I play a Super Pro and a Zum and I alternate them at times. Depending on which one I use I tell myself that this is the one I will use, but when I carry the other one I say the same thing. My Super Pro has been modified and it sounds fantastic to my ear. The only difference I experience is the different fret lengths of the two guitars. Takes a few minutes to adjust. When I go to play I take the one sitting closest to the door.

Jason Putnam

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2019 7:57 am    

I have both and play each of them at different times. There is no comparison between the Mullen and the Sho-Bud. It is two completely different instruments. It’s like comparing a 65 mustang to a 2019 mustang. They are both cars and mustangs and that’s where the similarities end. The steels are totally different but both have lovable qualities.

Charles Caskey

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2019 2:11 pm    

Thanks everyone. Good perspectives all around.