The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sierra Artist S-10 vertical knee lever
Eric Watts

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2019 8:21 am    

I have a Sierra Artist S-10 3x2 and would like to add 2 more knees levers to right knee and was wondering if they where ever made with a vertical lever on the left knee.

Or has anyone had experience with fabricating vertical levers on an Artist S-10

This is my first pedal steel in 40 years and I have come to really like its design, and light weight. I have reached a point where I need more options and hardware under the guitar.

Any pictures of Artist under carriage with a vertical would be very helpful...

Also did any of the Artist D-10s have a vertical or kit available

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2019 9:03 pm    

Eric,
My old Artist already had the cross shaft so making the lever assembly was quite easy. Sorry, I looked but I could find no pix. Talk to Jim Palenscar. He has lots of Sierra parts. Good luck.
I'd recommend saving up for a Zum Encore.

Eric Watts

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2019 7:38 am    

Still looking for a Sierra artist with vertical knee. Any pictures would help. I have seen Artists with two rail knees for four knees and some with one long rack with all four from the factory.

Anyone have an Artist with vertical???

Roy McKinney

Ontario, OR
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2019 9:16 am    

I will have to look at some old pictures and see if I have one tat shows that. I had the first vertical knee lever added to my D10 Artist over at the old Sierra Shop by Tom. I sold it to a guy back east somewhere. You might find a link searching for Sierra Artist.

Colm Chomicky

Kansas, (Prairie Village)
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2019 2:47 pm    

Eric, Thanks for PM yesterday as I have not been actively following the Forum lately. I have Roy's Sierra which I bought back around 2003 or so. Will post the photos of the underside with the knee once I get back to Kansas City (where the Sierra resides). Probably it will be a couple of weeks before I return to Kansas City.

Roy, nice to see your post.

Roy McKinney

Ontario, OR
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2019 7:48 am    

Sorry for the abrupt comment Colm, old age does have it consequences and I just couldn't remember your name at the time.

Eric Watts

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2019 10:45 am    

Thanks Guys!!! Am looking forward to seeing the underside of an Artist D-10 set up with 5 KL.

I love my Artist, but need more hardware as I have learned enough to move up.

Different question. Do you use the Day or Emmons config. Mine is Emmons and the left knees seem a bit to far to center. I may set it up with Day pedals and knees. As I have borrowed a D-10 in the Day way and really find the ankle movements to be easier.

Eric Watts

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2019 2:47 pm    

Any pictures of a vertical knee on Sierra Artist????

Roy McKinney

Ontario, OR
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2019 3:12 pm    

Did you ever get in contact with Colm? He has my old Sierra Artist with the first lkv lever put on one.

Eric Watts

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2019 2:32 pm    

Hey Roy, I have been in touch with Colm. He is away from the Sierra for a few weeks and said he will get some pictures when he gets back to it. I am looking forward to seeing how the vertical was set up. I have a few ideas and am getting anxious to get building parts..

Yours may be the only Artist with a vertical knee installed!!!

Colm Chomicky

Post  Posted 1 Apr 2019 1:24 pm    

Realize mine is a double neck so some extra mounts on the cross shaft.

Photo 1: Vertical knee cross shaft position

Photo 2: I accidentally reversed Right and Left of photo text. I have always had trouble with right and left.

Photo 3:

Photo 4

Photo 5

Photo 6

HA HA a little dusty under here. Been awhile since I looked.

Colm Chomicky

Post  Posted 1 Apr 2019 1:35 pm    

As a side note, I have seen posts where some people think the Artist has a fixed copedent, as if the rods, etc. are all fixed position and can't be customized. Ha Ha not true. The Sierra was my first, and set up Emmons just like my other steels. Although I bought used at about 1/2 price, this guitar new would have been over 3 grand and is not just a "student model" guitar. It has everything that many "pro guitars" have.

Eric Watts

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2019 4:36 pm    

Colm, Thanks for taking the time to post these pictures! They are very helpful and answer a lot of questions I had. Your D-10 has a lot more hardware under the hood than my S-10.. I love the available mounting holes for even more cross shafts for levers and pedals.

Could you add some more pictures of the whole underside so I can see how your right knees are done. It looks like your side rails for the cross shafts are full length under the body. Some I have seen use two separate sets of angle rails.

I have just enough room on mine to drill the added holes to make a vertical work, I think. But to get the holes drilled she has to come completely apart so I will have to wait for some down time.

Your D-10 Artist must be the lightest, well engineered double neck from the era. I like it!

Thanks Again Colm!!!