The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What does MSA mean?
George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2019 5:48 pm    

I have always thought MSA was Maurice Anderson's initials. A friend of mine said he had heard the S stands for Seymour. Seems like a long time ago, I remember hearing the 3 letters were 3 different people. I remember a big feud between Bobbe Seymour and Maurice and Maurice was going to take Bobbe to court, but it never happened. I think it was a slander case, if I remember correctly. Anyway, I told my buddy I would dig a little and find out what the letters MSA really stand for.

Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2019 7:12 pm    

I read that the M was Tom Morrell the S was Seymour and the A was Reece Anderson. Not sure this is right.

Tony

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2019 7:19 pm    

Here is an old discussion:

Click Here

And another:

Click Here

And another:

Click Here

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2019 10:40 pm    

Regardless of its history, today the letters stand for Magnificent, Superior, Awesome.

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2019 11:16 pm    

Morrell, Shields and Anderson is my understanding - If I remember correctly from Maurice Anderson's Steel Guitar Magazine interview.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2019 11:39 pm    

I'd always heard that it was Morrell,Sheilds,Anderson..Never heard that Bobby Seymour was in there at all.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 2:34 am    

Guys, Lee posted three links above where it reads “Click Here” in his post. Thank you Lee.

In the first one in particular in a thread from 2009 Reece went into great detail laying out the story - if you read it then it puts to rest the theories and speculation.

But maybe that would spoil the fun.

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 5:50 am    

Mark Eaton wrote:
Quote:
if you read it then it puts to rest the theories and speculation.

But maybe that would spoil the fun.

Sorry Mark. Next time I post, I'll be sure to read through every thread in the history of the forum - or maybe you should have your coffee and Wheaties before you post in the morning.

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 6:28 am    

I think there's a picture of Danny Shields and maybe a small comment in Winnie Winston's book but I haven't seen that book in years.

Anyway, Shields is who I always heard was the S.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 7:03 am    

"MSA - The Untold Story" was published in Steel Guitar World magazine and in Scotty's Newsletter. It details the forming of the MSA company in 1962 by Tom Morrell, Danny Shields, and Maurice Anderson. Though Bobbe Seymour worked at the company shortly after it started, he had nothing to do with it's founding, or the "MSA" designation.

This link may or may not work, as the original website is long defunct:

https://web.archive.org/web/20021210195118/http://www.msapedalsteels.com:80/reece/story1.html

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 8:45 am     What does MSA mean?

Click on the first link that Lee Baucum posted. It's a long post by Maurice himself telling the whole story from beginning to end. It is Morrell, Shields, Anderson. Bobby Seymour was involved earlier on and Bobbe's role is very interesting reading.

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 9:50 am    

Danny Shields was a great guy and player with whom I worked at Sierra guitars in the mid seventies. He was a machinist and wound custom pickups while at Sierra.

Danny was an excellent steel guitarist in the Jimmy Day vein. More importantly, he was always generous with his time and knowledge. He helped me countless times on various guitars and projects.

Danny Shields was a major figure in the Portland Oregon steel community and was greatly missed when he passed

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 10:10 am    

I don't believe I have ever seen a photo of Danny Shields. Could someone please post one?

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 2:37 pm    

Not to hijack the post, but since I already knew the answer, I'm gonna go off on a tangent:

Who takes the credit (or the blame) for designing and/or marketing the Red Baron? Was it M, S, or A?

What is MCI?
What is EMCI?
What is GFI?

Are any still producing instruments?

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 3:21 pm    

Jack Hanson wrote:
Not to hijack the post, but since I already knew the answer, I'm gonna go off on a tangent:

Who takes the credit (or the blame) for designing and/or marketing the Red Baron? Was it M, S, or A?

What is MCI?
What is EMCI?
What is GFI?

I can't say about the Red Baron, but it was a clever marketing idea! (Bud Carter was their chief designer during that period.). AFAIK, MCI was "Musicon Industries", and the "E" was added after Buddy Emmons got involved, suggesting some design improvements. GFI was "Gene Fields Inc". GFI and MSA are both still in business.

(All this is second-hand info, so I welcome any additional input or corrections.)

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 3:36 pm    

Thank you, Donnie. It's stuff I probably would have known if I hadn't been completely out of the loop, pedal steel-wise, for much of the eighties, all of the nineties and the oughts, up until the beginning of this decade. Most all of my gear is out of date, but still works fine for me. Ignorance is bliss.

Archie Nicol

Ayrshire, Scotland
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 5:18 pm    

Latest webpage;
Link to website .

I thought when the company went back into business that MSA stood for Micro Space Anderson.

Archie Nicol

Ayrshire, Scotland
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 5:19 pm    

Forgot how to do that 'Click Here' thing. Long link. Sad

Bill Fisher

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2019 9:19 am     Msa

MSA could very well mean: Mickey "Steel" Adams.

Bill

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2019 9:44 am    

Donny Hinson wrote:
Jack Hanson wrote:

What is MCI?
What is EMCI?
What is GFI?

I can't say about the Red Baron, but it was a clever marketing idea! (Bud Carter was their chief designer during that period.). AFAIK, MCI was "Musicon Industries", and the "E" was added after Buddy Emmons got involved, suggesting some design improvements. GFI was "Gene Fields Inc". GFI and MSA are both still in business.

(All this is second-hand info, so I welcome any additional input or corrections.)

The E in EMCI didn’t stand for Emmons. The was a copyright infringement on the MCI name that another company had so they came up with the idea of putting the E in front and pronouncing it same way, EM. C I.
There is a post somewhere by Buddy himself explaining this.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2019 4:24 pm    

M=Tom Morrell S=Danny Shields A=Maurice Anderson. Prior to Maurice joining it was a Morrell Shields Custom. No Seymour ever.

Jeremy Threlfall

now in Western Australia
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2019 11:21 pm    

Donny Hinson wrote:
Jack Hanson wrote:

What is MCI?
What is EMCI?
What is GFI?

I think Buddy Emmons was involved, but the "E" I think was added change the "M" to an "EM" (same sound) as there was a law suit involving another company with the name MCI.

That's what I read somewhere
http://ralwaybell.bandcamp.com/

Jeremy Threlfall

now in Western Australia
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2019 11:21 pm    

Stu Schulman wrote:
I'd always heard that it was Morrell,Sheilds,Anderson..Never heard that Bobby Seymour was in there at all.

that would have come from Bobby

Jeremy Threlfall

now in Western Australia
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2019 11:23 pm    

Jeremy Threlfall wrote:
Donny Hinson wrote:
Jack Hanson wrote:

What is MCI?
What is EMCI?
What is GFI?

I think Buddy Emmons was involved, but the "E" I think was added change the "M" to an "EM" (same sound) as there was a law suit involving another company with the name MCI.

That's what I read somewhere

Sorry Henry, I missed your post. I will leave mine up for reinforcement!

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2019 12:39 pm    

Henry Matthews wrote:

...The E in EMCI didn’t stand for Emmons. The was a copyright infringement on the MCI name that another company had, so they came up with the idea of putting the E in front and pronouncing it same way, EM. C I.
There is a post somewhere by Buddy himself explaining this.

Thanks Henry! What I had heard years ago was that Buddy was "involved", somehow, and that he gave Bud some ideas for improvements (welding the frame?). I wonder why they didn't just hyphenate the letters, making it M-C-I, or maybe EM-C-I to make that clearer, because a dummy like me would have made it shorter by pronouncing EMCI as "em-see". Mr. Green