The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Evans FET 500 vs Evans SE 200,,, Opinions / Thoughts ??
Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2019 1:39 pm    

I owned and played through quite a few Evans FET 500s w/JBLs for a number of years starting when they first came out in the 70s. I liked them very much. However, I really have no experience with the SE 200 model.

I now have an opportunity to get either a mid-80s FET 500 or an early 2000s SE 200. Both amps are equipped with Black Widow, 1501-4 speakers.

Any opinions between the two regarding tonal differences, performance, amp settings, weight or anything else would be appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Chris "Tiny" O.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 9:02 am     Evans FET 500 vs. SE 200 opinions

This may not be much help and may be comparing apple's to oranges, but here it goes FWIW.

I bought an FET-500 in the early 80's and played it for probably 20 years. I now have a stereo pre-amp rack mount, which should be the same pre-amp that is in the SE 200. I am running it through a Stereo Steel's power amp into GD Walker cabinets with JBL D-130 speakers. I also am using a Black Box, mostly as a control for the highs. I have never had as good a sound before and the pre-amp has almost no circuit noise. Based on what I have,I would not hesitate to get an SE 200.

John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2019 11:09 am    

Chris, I’ve owned both amps and now have an Se200 with a EPS 15c in it. It’s now my go to amp because of the weight, sound and convenience(dig. Reverb, low imp. out ). There may be a slight difference in tone but for me the other features outweigh whatever difference in tone there is. Either way you won’t lose out, they’re both great amps.

Tiny Olson

Post  Posted 18 Jan 2019 11:28 am    

George and John:

Thanks for your replies. I appreciate your thoughts and input.

Hope you're well John. I still remember visiting with you when we did a show many years ago. That was either Edmonton or Red Deer if I recall. I think I was playing my Black, '78 Emmons through an FET 500 then.

Thanks again guys and I hope you're both well.

Chris "Tiny" O.

John Lacey

Post  Posted 18 Jan 2019 2:50 pm    

You’re right, it was Edmonton. The sound of that combo of the FET and the PP stayed with me for quite a while. I eventually got both.

John Lacey

Post  Posted 18 Jan 2019 2:50 pm    

You’re right, it was Edmonton. The sound of that combo of the FET and the PP stayed with me for quite a while. I eventually got both.

Tiny Olson

Post  Posted 18 Jan 2019 5:13 pm    

Hey John... That was a fun show in Edmonton. I remember that it was a pretty big and jumping night-club. Seems to me that was around 1981 or 82. I always loved playing shows in Canada. I always looked forward to our trips to Alberta in particular.

I really liked that '78 Emmons through that FET 500. I remember a conversation we had about it some years later and your very kind words. Thank you.

I'm playing a '69 Rosewood D-10 quite often these days. I love that old horn and play mostly through a Stereo Steel rig or a Steelaire. I want to rekindle that Emmons / Evans sound again though... you know the deal.

Sure is great to hear from you John. Please stay in touch. Thanks again for your input too.

Your friend,
Chris "Tiny" O.

John Lacey

Post  Posted 18 Jan 2019 8:07 pm    

You guys were very special to us too back in those years, ‘82-83. I’m mostly playing my Hybrid Zum. Would also like to play my black ‘69 PP but it’s so friggin heavy. Got to get a 2 case rig for it. Been messing around with tube amps lately but they’re either underpowered or too pricey to get into. Thinking about dumping my Webb and Nashville 400 to check out something like the stereo steel or some tube thing. Always searching...

Tiny Olson

Post  Posted 19 Jan 2019 6:05 pm    

Thanks John. I appreciate your nice words.

I had two Webbs in the late '70s and I loved the sound I got with them. As much as any combo amp I ever had. They didn't like the road at all though and failed often enough that I finally gave up on them. I never had a failure from the Evans or Peavey amps riding on the buses. I've had the Stereo Steel rig for 17 years now. It sounds great and has never let me down.

Our '69 Emmons guitars are somewhat rare compared to other nearby year-model Emmons guitars. I guess they had some legal or contract issues in 1969 and not that many guitars were built. Glad you have one also. Mine is #1321.

John Lacey

Post  Posted 20 Jan 2019 12:07 pm    

Mine started out as a blue guitar owned by Bob Hempker but has since transformed into a black gloss. It’s 1329.

John Lacey

Post  Posted 21 Jan 2019 12:32 pm    

Tiny, let me know what you’ve decided on.

Tiny Olson

Post  Posted 22 Jan 2019 1:01 pm    

Hey John,,, I'm sending a pm to you.