The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Good Feelin’ To Know - PSG “B3/Leslie”
Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2019 11:24 pm    

Here’s my attempt at Rusty Young’s psg/B3/Leslie sound. Using an EHX B9, wah pedal and Neo Ventilator II w/half-moon remote.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1M4BKtRsedw

MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.

Last edited by Mike Bacciarini on 14 Jan 2019 2:57 am; edited 2 times in total

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2019 1:07 am    

Nice job on that, Mike!

How did you turn off both the B9 and Neo at the same time? That AB switch? I've got the same stompboxes, just not the half-moon remote, where did you get that? I would try using it on the changer endplate if possible, or velcroed to the guitar front.

BY THE WAY, I got my start on steel with a lap steel, then a T3 Fender Deluxe in SLO shortly after graduating high school, so around 1972. Great little town, I miss it! Is there much of a music scene these days? Ever run into Doc Stoltey? He's been playing there for decades. Old classmate and musician friend of mine.

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2019 2:45 am    

Thanks John. The signal is going through two FX paths simultaneously, and the AB switch selects which one goes to the amps. The half-moon is from Ashby Solutions. They have models that will work with just about any Leslie emulator. Yes the Central Coast has a healthy music scene. I just closed my sound company recently to get back into playing music. Trying to get some chops back...
MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2019 2:55 am    

John, I updated an old post in the “Electronics” section that digs into the FX.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=333845

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2019 7:01 am    

Great job Mike.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2019 7:10 am    

Sounds great, Mike!

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2019 10:19 am    

Thanks guys. I just have to keep working at it, but it's sure fun!

Gaylen James

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2019 11:00 am     Funny Guy

Its not like the PSG is strange enough

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2019 11:31 am    

My guitar slinging buddy and myself furnished the music for a wedding a while back.
My organ effect worked great for songs such as "The Bridal Chorus" and "The Wedding March". Very Happy
Erv

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2019 12:00 pm    

I believe it, Erv. The psg generates some rich chords on its own. Are you using a B9?

Gaylen, you’re right about that. Probably explains why the gregarious, smiling, crowd-scanning face is a rarity on steel players!

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2019 12:07 pm    

Mike,
No, I wasn't using a B9.
I was using one of these, although I do have a B9:

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2019 6:19 pm    

Hey Erv.... that Rotospere has the cool mojo... gets that tube “crunch”. Isn’t it fun to be able to “play organ” w/o having to lug aroun a B3 & 122? I know, I know.... we’re just simulating the real deal, but I’ll never forget the impact of Rusty’s “B3” in their live shows. Ok, their road crew had to get the Leslie up on stage every night, but still....

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2019 6:31 pm    

Erv, your wedding gig reminded me of this song from the same album. A-typical for a county-rock band, but just underscores the application of psg to many styles. Rock on Richie and Rusty.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G4YahOOUNjI

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 8:05 am    

Mike,
I keep trying just about every organ effect on the market but it seems like I wind up using the H & K Rotosphere. Very Happy
Erv
If you want to see an organ effect, look at this one I have:

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 8:34 am    

Wow, another gold nugget! I briefly considered their Pro-145, but although only 65lbs, I decided that 2.4 lbs would be where I drew the line.

You've got some nice tools there Erv... would love to hear some of the organ sounds from your rig sometime.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 9:38 am    

Mike,
I hate to admit it but I'm a sucker for organ effects.
It seems like if a new one comes along, I have to have it! Whoa!
I even bought this one from a guy in Italy:

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 10:39 am    

Erv, I wasn't familiar with this Korg unit until you posted. Amazing all of the Leslie sims out there. Do you have a Vent yourself? Comparison with the Rotosphere?

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 10:48 am    

Mike,
Yes, I have a Vent along with several others.
It seems like they all have their individual features but it's hard to pick just one.
Some of them are designed to work well with an organ but not necessarily with a pedal steel.
I guess it's a case of different strokes for different folks.
Tom Bradshaw even sent a discontinued unit to me for my evaluation as he was considering remaking it.
However, I think he changed his mind.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2019 5:14 am    

Erv said:
Quote:
I hate to admit it but I'm a sucker for organ effects.

I'm impressed Erv that you have those rotary units.

Would you have one of these?

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2019 8:14 am    

Godfrey,
What is that?
I want it!!! Very Happy
Erv

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2019 9:34 am    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
Godfrey,
What is that?
I want it!!! Very Happy
Erv

You pulling my leg Erv?

C'mon, with all that esoteric rotary gear you got, you sure you don't know what that is? Whoa!

From Steve's (RIP) channel:
https://youtu.be/yV5JPyWTMog

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2019 9:48 am    

Godfrey,
I did a search and they still are bringing around $800.
I really think the current electronic effect units sound better. But Stevie Ray Vaughn seemed to like it! Very Happy
Erv

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2019 11:19 am    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
Godfrey,
I did a search and they still are bringing around $800.
I really think the current electronic effect units sound better. But Stevie Ray Vaughn seemed to like it! Very Happy
Erv

Erv, in the 60's.

My first Leslie was that.

I played a Fender Contempo through it.

It was my highschool rig. Paul Revere, Rascals, WSOP/Procol H, The Buckinghams, Gary Puckett and the Union Gap, Spencer Davis G, Iron Butterfly, The Doors, by cracky!!!.

By Santana, I had a B and normal Leslie. Cool for BS&T Dick Halligan era. "I've lost at love before.."

The Fender Contempo was the closest clone to a Hammond because it had the quintessential 5&1/3' that Vox, Farfisa, Rheem, did not have.

On the Contempo, that stop was called "quint" but the Contempo did not have bars like a Vox.

Lots of players still look for this speaker.
Sound clips don't do it justice. It's something that has to be heard live to understand what it does. The fact that the rotor is sideways vs horizontal like the other Leslies throws the sound around for guitar in a different way than the organ Leslies, also the rotor is styro and gives a different tone than the wood rotors.

I prefer one of these for guitar than a two rotor. Unless the crosssover is set for guitar, the guitar string tone gets lost up there in the high mid range.

Yeah the Vibratone goes for good money these days. But you can get the same guts, minus the xover and the speed controls out of a parted out organ for like $50. Which is what I did. Still have to build me a cab though.

Shipped out of San Diego to me by my brothers. Paid $49 about 5 years ago. Can't see the two-speed motor stack in the photo. It's behind the "cheese-wheel" but it's exactly like the motor stack in the photo below. I bought a custom speed control circuit off of eBay for $100. As well as a Utah 10" 4 ohm that came out of a Vibratone off eBay. Xover will just be a bass capacitor to shave off some of the low end that the in-line Fender tube xover did.

You can't find these Vibratone switch/xover/connectors easily and no one really knows what's in the sealed xover tube.

This below is presently selling on eBay for $110.

Came out of a Thomas organ.

The motor stack alone goes for big bucks to organ guys but for $110 you get the whole thing including an 8 inch speaker designed to handle some thrust.

Don Leslie was pulling in bucks from other organ companies who were willing to have his speaker associated with their products.

Laurens Hammond HATED THE LESLIE !!!

Huh???

Laurens banned his dealers from selling Leslies.

When I bought my B they took me in the back room....!!!

Ironic that in the end both Hammond and Leslie are owned by Hammond-Suzuki in Japan.

The reason one might think the rotary effects sound better is because the signal is direct injected and contained.

SRV blew the 10" speakers on his for Coldshot which today is the usual connection song with the Vibratone. SRV had JBL's in there and they toured with spare JBL's (12's I think) for this.

Note the Leslie (Vibratone) speed switch taped up for SRV's use.

Last edited by Godfrey Arthur on 18 Jan 2019 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2019 12:10 pm    

Godfrey,
Very interesting, who knew! Very Happy
Erv

Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2019 9:40 pm    

I still have my Fender Vibratone (Leslie) that I toured with in the 1970s. (I was a big Rusty Young Fan) I replaced the 10" speaker with a 12" Altec Lansing speaker with a massive magnet. I had to modify the back of the cabinet to allow the magnet to stick out. And after several years on the road the original tolex was trashed, so I recovered it with gray indoor outdoor carpet. I still love it but it's a pain to move even with large casters.