The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  1st string raise: g# or g? OR BOTH?
Alex Cattaneo

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2019 6:41 am    

I've always had the string 1 raise a full step with my RKR lever and I'm married to it. The unison with string 3 is so common, I can't do without it.

But lately I've been really wanting to have a half step raise on string 1. Having the dominant 7th with the a and b pedals down is very cool, and every time I come across licks that use the half raise on 1, I tried to half raise my lever but it's neither precise nor effective.

Which one do you guys use? Does anyone have both changes on separate pedals and/or levers? If so, where are they on your instrument and why? Very curious to see who's doing what.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2019 6:50 am    

G.

For G#, I engage the "G" knee lever, then pull the first string up to G# with my little finger, behind the bar. Works for me.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2019 6:59 am    

Alex.. you already have the change, you like it, I would just leave it there.. You can simply add a feel stop so you can "feel" the half tone raise, or a much better way is to just get used to "Half pedaling" into the half tone raise ... Its easy, you just need to work on it a bit.. My F# to G# raise is on LKL, and I have been using it as a 1/2 tone and full tone raise for the 40+ years I have been playing.. Just work on it, and you'll find in a short time you don't even need a feel stop, let alone another lever.. If you really can't get used to it no matter how hard you try, you can also put the F#-G# raise on a pedal with the 2nd string Eb to E raise which has become very popular in the past decade.. Of course you can also put the 1st string/2nd string raise on a lever, but you already have it, and anyone can get used to half pedaling it up a half tone with a little practice.... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2019 7:04 am    

Alex, on most allpulls if you raise 1+2 on a kl, you can't time the pulls to "pickup" the second string whe one gets to G. I pull 1,2+7 on LKL with feel stops for G.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2019 7:09 am    

The full-tone unison lick really gets old fast, and it has a certain "whiny" character I don't care for.

Alex Cattaneo

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2019 7:16 am    

It doesn't sound whiny at the speed Randle Currie plays it, ha ha ha!

I do have the raise 1-2, so timing the pulls might be an elegant and simple solution.

I'm also considering putting the 1/2 step raise on the vertical, which I'm not using at the moment. But that means stepping on a & b while raising the vertical with the same leg.

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2019 7:29 am    

It's country and supposed to be whiny so quit whining and play it. Very Happy

Alex Cattaneo

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2019 7:56 am    

Exactly, whiny is why they pay us the big bucks, ha ha ha!

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2019 9:36 am    

It's no more whiney than the A pedal constantly being used. Whiney is OK. Country steel guitar was built on whiney. That's what people who don't know what a PSG is says when you explain it to them. "Oh, you mean that 'whiney thing'"

I mastered the half lever to get the G on string 1, but would like a definite stop.

Tommy Mc

Middlesex VT
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2019 11:38 am    

Jack Hanson wrote:
G.

For G#, I engage the "G" knee lever, then pull the first string up to G# with my little finger, behind the bar. Works for me.

I've been working on bar slants to do the same thing.

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2019 12:04 pm    

Full-tone raise on the 1st string here. Love that bend, even when not used as a unison with the 3rd stg.

The G note can still be played with a half-knee (or at least approximated) or the bar can be slid up one fret. And if you're Jack Hanson or John Call, I guess you can reach up and pull the string behind the bar. Smile

I think there's been a migration over the decades. The old-school way to wire it was as a half-step to G. And you used to hear it used a LOT in 60's and 70's country, like, say the intro to "The Bottle Let Me Down". Some of that stuff is so much easier to play if you only go up to G on that lever!

Seems like music changed and steelers moved a little away from 7th licks in the years since then. I now hear the full-tone raise on the 1st string as much, if not more, than that half-tone note. I think it's a more versatile option since you can still easily get the in-between note with one of the manipulations listed above. But if I was playing in classic country bands that rarely left the Golden Age of steel, I would switch my copedent to go to G on that lever.

Jim Robbins

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2019 12:09 pm    

G# with a feel stop. I use my 7th string raise a lot, probably more than the 1st string. Grumbling rather than whining, if you will.

Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2019 12:14 pm    

i had the 1/2 raise to g on my sho bud, and i used it fairly frequently, but mostly in the quick swinging doors type of way.

when i got a push pull, it came with a full tone raise to g#, but i haven't managed to get the half stop feel that i'm looking for. like you i don't think i could live without the full tone raise in most of the bands i'm playing with. i make do with behind the bar pulls or trying my best to feel the halfway point of the lever.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 19 Jan 2019 3:42 pm    

Jim Robbins wrote:
G# with a feel stop. I use my 7th string raise a lot, probably more than the 1st string. Grumbling rather than whining, if you will.

I miss the 7th string raise. I used it a lot. I have both F#'s to G on my D10, but not my SD12. The first string can be raised by grabbing the string behind the bar as mentioned. Even when I had the G change, I would still grab the string and pull. To me it has a different feel and sound than using a lever or sliding the bar. Plus it looks cool. All the women think you're a hip rock star.

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2019 10:40 pm    

Wait...women look at steel players???

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 20 Jan 2019 4:36 am    

John Macy wrote:
Wait...women look at steel players???

With a look like they are nauseous. 🤢

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2019 3:23 pm    

I get the 1st string G by pulling it a little with my finger.
G# with the lever.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2019 3:33 pm    

Yeah, me too. I can get by pulling 1 to G with a pinky, but a whole step makes me nervous. If you've ever had one
break and wrap around your finger, you understand why.

I have it on RKR along with 2 and 6 timed so I feel the half tone when it picks up 2, I think.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2019 5:05 pm    

I raise 1 and 7 a whole step (to G#) but, if I just want the b7 (or G note) half-pedaling that knee-lever is really easy. I make use of the half-tone option on both the 1st and the 7th string, the latter in tandem with my A and B pedals for a 7th chord.

Sharpening the 1st behind the bar with a spare finger is certainly possible but the 7th string? Not so much.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 21 Jan 2019 8:22 am    

And pulling the 1st is a little difficult when down at the low frets. OUCH!!!

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2019 9:54 am    

Richard:

I can just pull my 1st string up a half-step at the second fret using my finger.

There's not a chance at fret one! (Where are my Band-Aids?)

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2019 3:23 pm    

Quote:

Same here! Smile

Steve Leal

Orange CA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2019 4:20 pm    

I raise string 1 a whole step, string 2 a half step, and string 7 just a half step that acts as a feel stop for string 1.

Another way you can get the G note is by playing a fret up from the A B position, while lowering 5/10 a half step + raising 5/10 a whole step with A pedal + lowering 4/8 a half step.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2019 5:56 am    

Weird thing that I just discovered,My knee lever raises my high f#string number 1 to a G# while lowering string #6 G#-F#and with the split G,for some reason there is feel in my lever so when it's part way in I get a G on string #1 and it's really in tune....not sure why I get both G#an G with that knee lever but I use it.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.