The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Blade Pickup on Tele
Dustin Kleingartner

Saint Paul MN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 1:49 pm    

I have a tele with a blade pickup (hot rail) in the bridge position. At first the the high E string was much too quiet, so I raised that side of the pickup. Now the second string is a bit too loud. With no individual pole pieces to adjust, I was considering taking a metal file to the blade piece right below the 2nd string (see diagram below). Do you think this will solve my issue, or will this just make things worse? This is just a partscaster, so it is low risk. Thanks!

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 6:24 pm    

Are you sure it's not just a "dead" first string? I'd try changing the string, first, and maybe go up a thou or two in the gauge to see if that improves things.

I can't comment on filing down the blade, because I've never heard of that being done.

Michael Brebes

Northridge CA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2019 7:33 am    

Yes it can be done, but you have to remember that any filing is irreversible. I would definitely check all other variables before filing the blade.
Dickerson MOTS/Dobro D32 Hawaiian/
Goldtone Paul Beard Reso

Mesa Boogie Studio Pre/Hafler 3000
RP1/MPX100

Dustin Kleingartner

Saint Paul MN, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2019 9:23 am    

Thanks for the responses! I'll try swapping out the first string, and check on other variables before I do any filing.

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2019 9:59 am    

Your filing idea is similar to what is done on acoustic electric guitars with under saddle pickups, when some strings are louder/quieter than others.
That seems to be the common fix.......in that arena.

However, are you sure that you're not being too persnickitty and splitting hairs here? (Please don't take offense.)

As was said, filing is non-reversible, and it may not ultimately be the fix.

I suppose that it's possible that you have a bad pickup, but I doubt it.

Changing a string is a good idea.
Adding to that, you first noticed the problem with the E string. Maybe the problem is with the E and not the B. Maybe something is killing the E string. The nut or the break angle to the tuning key maybe? A new nut (Graphtec TUSQ) is cheap and is something that you can probably do yourself. I did one on a Strat, and I ain't no mechanical genius.

I'd hazard a guess that a LOT of guitars don't have an even volume response across their strings. Somehow we learn to deal with it. Look at the old Strat pickups. The pole pieces are different heights, supposedly to compensate for the string gauges being used in the 50's. Guys are still using the same design today but with modern gauges, and there doesn't seem to be a problem.

One other suggestion: Maybe a compressor could even things out enough to fix the issue.

Dustin Kleingartner

Saint Paul MN, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2019 10:49 am    

I definitely do I have a tendency to be too persnickitty! I'll probably just leave it alone for now. I've had to tinker with so many things on this guitar to get it playing well, and now it is finally feeling nice. This "issue" was the last in a long line of things that bothered me. The pickup is a Joe Barden, so it's probably the highest quality component on the guitar... and it's the only pickup (so I guess it's more of an esquire than a tele).

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to practice some restraint and not mess with it Smile

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2019 12:35 pm    

Quote:
The pickup is a Joe Barden ...

That's all I needed to see to form a conclusion. Yeah, I'd definitely leave it alone. I've used several sets of Bardens - still have a couple - and the ones I've used have had good balance across the strings if the strings were well-balanced themselves. What string gauges are you using? If you're using light strings, like 9/11/16 or 10/12-13/17 on strings 1-3, I'd definitely try a heavier high E string and lower that side of the pickup a little - maybe split the difference between where you were before and after the change. Small differences in pickup position can make a large difference. Experiment, see what works best for you.

But to answer your initial question about a notch in the blade at the 2nd string - the answer is that some pickups have had them. Probably the most famous are some iterations of Gibson's "Charlie Christian" pickup back in the late 1930s. There are lots of photos online if you search. So this is not a new issue.

But another issue is blade material. I would not grind down a magnetic blade or pole piece because that process may mess up its magnetic properties. It is my understanding that the Barden blades are stainless steel, not magnetic. But I'd still be wary of grinding for fear of changing its magnetic permeability.

And yet another issue - there really isn't much blade showing on a Barden, especially away from the middle of the pickup. I can't imagine being able to grind down enough to make a significant difference.

Beyond all this, a little goof could destroy the pickup, and I pretty much guarantee you will reduce the pickup's value by modifying it. Bardens, especially older ones, definitely have significant value.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2019 5:07 pm    

Just a thought, try contacting the manufacturer for tech advice. Can't hurt.