The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gibson BR-9 bridge cover
Ros Hallyburton

Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 5:10 am    

Hello I am looking for a fridge cover for a Gibson BR9 Lapsteel which I purchased today it did not have one can anyone tell me where I can get one of these please email me at ros.hallyburton@gmail.com

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 3:15 pm    

Do you have a picture of the guitar?

The bridge cover is part of the plastic plate that also has the volume and tone knobs mounted on it. Is the whole thing missing (and replaced with something else to mount the knobs on) or has the part covering the bridge been removed?

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2019 6:31 am    

Ros was unable to upload a picture so emailed this one to me.

Although these do come up on Ebay occasionally, they are very rare. I think if it were mine, I'd get a new pickguard cut and maybe fit a chrome pickup cover if you want one (there are a few available). It wouldn't look original but I rechon it could look pretty good.

Those knobs are super rare too so if you've only got the one, you'll probably have to settle for another style (though the same knob in black is used on one of the Gibson hollowboadies so you might find a pair of those).

Tommy Martin Young

Sacramento-California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2019 8:04 am    

Is that an 8-string pickup on a 6-string? or mounting screw holes?

"Now is the time for drinking;
now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot."
-Quintus Horatius Flaccus (65-8 B.C.)

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2019 1:33 pm    

As Jeff said, the BR-9 finger-rests come up from time to time on eBay, but they can be pricey. And as Tom pointed out, the pickup in the photo is not from a BR-9. As one who has rescued at least a dozen postwar Gibson lap steels, I would hesitate to offer any advice without knowing what your ultimate intentions are for the instrument. The photo does not indicate whether or not the original fretboard, nut, and tuners are present and serviceable. Another consideration is whether or not the neck/headstock has twisted over time, not uncommon with some later BR-9s.

A few things to keep in mind about the BR-9: It had the longest production run of any postwar Gibson lap steel guitar: Consequently, there were almost as many BR-9s produced as all other postwar Gibson lap steels combined; It was Gibson's entry level model from its inception until the Skylark was introduced in the late '50s. That is not to say that it's not a good guitar -- some are better than others, however.

Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2019 3:56 pm    

I had two of those. 1st one was a new one in 1947. In later years I traded a violin for one. Didn't play it much, but made it play & sound better. Sold it In Joliet for $125 bucks.

Loved it when an Ebay seller would say how "RARE" they were ! Very Happy