The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Volume Pedal Help
Chris Harvey

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2019 7:06 am    

I’ve been dealing with this now for quite some time. I’ve tried volume pedals, cords etc all to no avail. When I use a volume pedal and open it up all the way (which I don’t) the volume is WAY lower than going direct. I have to increase the volume of my amp considerably or use a clean boost since the signal is so low. Is this an impedance matching thing? I’m using a moyo VP now with a 470 pot. I do prefer passive pedals. Even with a 20db clean boost it doesn’t even come close to going guitar to amp.

Last edited by Chris Harvey on 16 Jan 2019 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2019 7:26 am     Re: Volume Pedal Help

Chris Harvey wrote:
...I have to increase the volume of my amp considerably or use a clean boost since the signal is so low.

Why is that a problem? In a practical world, we just set the amp controls so we get the sound we want. Now, if you don't have enough volume left to get the output you want from the the amp, then that's another matter.

I have no experience with a Moyo pedal, but have you checked to make sure the pot is wired correctly, and that the pot is (nearly) at the end of its travel when the pedal is all the way down? This is usually the problem when players observe a significant signal loss.

Last edited by Donny Hinson on 16 Jan 2019 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Chris Harvey

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2019 10:46 am    

Agreed it's not a problem. The travel recommendation sounds completely logical. I'll take a look. I tried hooking up an external volume pot I have in an enclosure and, sure enough, it had the full volume when opened up. It was to the point where I had a 200 watt amp running at 10 and the volume was still low.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2019 11:16 am    

With pedal fully down (full-on) and held in place, use flat head screwdriver to carefully turn pot until it is wide open. Then back off a hair to protect the pot. If there was any room to turn it, that was your problem. My experience is that there is enough slip in the string to allow this maneuver, with firm screwdriver pressure. If it was already full-on, the problem lies elsewhere.

Glenn Taylor

Denver, CO, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 9:31 am    

Chris, I'll help you work this out--I'll send you a message.
glenn

Chris Harvey

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 5:19 pm     Thank you!

Jon,

That was it! Before the volume pedal wouldn's return to the full off position. After screwing in and backing off the pedal went to the full off position and I have all my volume! I'm a happy camper! Smile

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 6:08 pm     Volume pedal help

FWIW, most players don't set the pedal to go completely off, but slightly on. Just sayin, that doesn't mean you should not do it either. Golden rule in steel guitar, whatever works for you.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 7:58 pm    

Chris--excellent.
I inadvertently hooked onto the string while I was unboxing my pedal (this is my best-guess recreation of events) and found myself with your situation. My first action was to email Glenn to say that there was a problem but I quickly figured out that I'd messed it up. I really like that this is accessible from the outside. Aside from my clumsy mucking it up, the string seems to grip the shaft well enough that it operates just fine while still able to be adjusted like this.